Why do we see colours in bubbles?

Feb 2010
UK
Colours can be seen moving around in a blown soap bubble. Explain how these are formed and why they move.

I'm guessing it is something to do with the thickness of the bubble and light being somehow split but i'm not too sure other than that.

Feb 2010
Lagos, Nigeria.
Colours can be seen moving around in a blown soap bubble. Explain how these are formed and why they move.

I'm guessing it is something to do with the thickness of the bubble and light being somehow split but i'm not too sure other than that.
The reeason is because there is what we call dipersion of white light into the 7 different colours i.e red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. So, when the bubbles is blown to the air , there is passage of light through the bubbles and the different colours are dispersed. That is what also happens for rainbow formation.(Hi)

Last edited:
Jul 2010
Nice question,basically the main reason behind that is light waves ,the bubble to the right is full of color because light waves reflected off its thick walls reinforce one another.

Last edited:
Dec 2008
Udupi, Karnataka, India

Refer the interference due to a thin film.