What are the forces acting when we squeeze a foam ball?

Mar 2015
Hi,

As part of my project, I am trying to figure out the forces acting while squeezing a ball. The ball in question is a foam rubber ball( stress ball). The ball deforms when we squeeze & the mode of squeeze is by keeping the ball between the fingers & the palm of the hand. Also how to draw a free body diagram out of it?

Any help regarding this is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Anuroop

Jun 2010
NC
anurooppv

You need to be a decent artist to draw this. First look at the "scenario," which is a hand holding a ball. Now if you want the ball a system, imagine the hand to be removed. In that process sketch continuously distributed contact forces on the ball as a consequence off the grip.

Not easy to draw... TSH for PHF

Mar 2015
Thanks for the reply. What are the forces to be considered? I know about the forces applied while squeezing the ball using fingers & palm in opposite directions. Apart from these forces, what are the other forces acting?

ChipB

PHF Helper
Jun 2010
Morristown, NJ USA
You should include the force of gravity acting on the ball, and the opposite supporting force of the palm.

Your original post asked about "forces applied," which sounds as if you are interested not only in the forces acting on the ball but also the forces acting on the hand and fingers - i.e. the balance of muscle forces acting to trying to clse the hand into a fist versus the resistant forces of the ball.