Weyl tensor dynamic

May 2008
I recently became interested in relativity, therefore, I got me some good books on the subject and have decided to self-study as I find time.

Anyway, has anyone ever seen the sci-fi/horror movie Event Horizon?.

In the beginning, the man who developed the drive which propels the ship by folding space tells the clueless crew, in so many words, how it works.

He says, "Use a rotating magnetic field to focus a narrow beam of gravitons. These in turn, fold space-time, consistent with the Weyl tensor dynamic, whereby space-time curvature becomes infinite and you create a singularity".

This sounded cool if nothing else. What is the Weyl tensor dynamic and how could it theoretically be implemented in folding space?. I know, it's sci-fi, but are these real theories floating out there?.

I just thought this was a fun question to ask. (Smile)

CaptainBlack

PHF Hall of Fame
Apr 2008
I recently became interested in relativity, therefore, I got me some good books on the subject and have decided to self-study as I find time.

Anyway, has anyone ever seen the sci-fi/horror movie Event Horizon?.

In the beginning, the man who developed the drive which propels the ship by folding space tells the clueless crew, in so many words, how it works.

He says, "Use a rotating magnetic field to focus a narrow beam of gravitons. These in turn, fold space-time, consistent with the Weyl tensor dynamic, whereby space-time curvature becomes infinite and you create a singularity".

This sounded cool if nothing else. What is the Weyl tensor dynamic and how could it theoretically be implemented in folding space?. I know, it's sci-fi, but are these real theories floating out there?.

I just thought this was a fun question to ask. (Smile)
Before answering, I think we need to know why you have not finished assembling the Interrossiter kit we sent you?

CB

May 2008
I did, but it was destroyed by that fellow with the large forehead.

That old silly show was on the other day(Rofl)

Remember, it's a secret mission(Lipssealed)

Afterall, few humans are up to the task of assembling an 'Interrossitor'.

Next, the Aludium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Seriously, I have been studying a little relativity and remembered that line from that movie. I thought it sounded fun if nothing else.

I thought perhaps it was based on some actual theories that may be out there concerning how one would open a wormhole, if it were possible.