Voltage across points in a series circuit

Mar 2013
As the subject suggests, I'm trying to solve voltages in a series circuit. These voltages do not correlate to a component, but rather the voltage of points in between the components.

I've made a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about:

Now if I use KVL, for V1 I get -10V, V2 I get -3.33 (using voltage division to find the voltage for the 200 ohm resistor) and 0 for V3. Am I doing this right or am I way off base? Thanks for the assistance.

Mar 2013
Nevermind, I misread the problem and only need the voltage across the resistors, and that's not a problem. Thanks to anyone thinking about helping though!

ChipB

PHF Helper
Jun 2010
Morristown, NJ USA
Glad you were able to solve it, but just to make sure there's no confusion: you initially asked about the voltages "at" the points V1, V2, and V3 in the figure, which doesn't make sense., since voltages are measured across two points, not at one point. But your diagram shows two points for V1, with only a conductor between them, which means there is no voltage drop at all between those two points. So the voltage across the two V1 points is 0. Same with the points shown for V2 and V3. Hope this is clear.

Last edited: