spherical unipolar magnet

Nov 2016
imagine a spherical shell of magnets. they form a perfect sphere . they are all magnetized so the north pole is pointing out. what do the flux paths look like? this a real physical possibility and easy to make but i am curious as to your thoughts. thank you.

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
imagine a spherical shell of magnets. they form a perfect sphere . they are all magnetized so the north pole is pointing out. what do the flux paths look like? this a real physical possibility and easy to make but i am curious as to your thoughts. thank you.
Theoretically it should look like a monopole. On the other hand I disagree with you...I don't think you could physically get a bunch of magnets together like that. The closer you put the north ends of the magnets together (as well as the souths inside) the more they are going to repel each other. The repulsion will create gaps and the flux lines won't be pure monopole.

-Dan

Nov 2016
unipolar magnet

i have done an analysis of this and found that the external.field drops to zero when the shell.is complete. if there is a gap then the flux flows across the gap and some leaks out so it behaves like bipolar magnet in that area..
conclusion is no unipolar magnet is possible..

Reactions: 1 person