Raining, an ordinary topic

Mar 2019
cosmos
When it was raining while I forgot bringing an umbrella with me, I got wet. I often saw that some guys also without an umbrella resorted to a simple method: run...Did they really meet fewer rain drops?

Reactions: 1 person

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
When it was raining while I forgot bringing an umbrella with me, I got wet. I often saw that some guys also without an umbrella resorted to a simple method: run...Did they really meet fewer rain drops?
As it happens I had a few spare moments once upon a time to figure this out.
1) As you run you are effectively making a larger area for the rain to fall in and on you. So faster speeds actually increase the number of drops you are encountering.

2) On the other hand you are moving faster by running and won't be in the rain as long. There will be a minimum speed (I never bothered to calculate it) where you break even, then anything faster will completely counter-act #1.

So bring the umbrella or be prepared to haul *ss!

-Dan

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2019
cosmos
In actual daily case, when it rains, guys without an umbrella should seek a shelter with fixed distance while not try to run in the rain at the break even velocity...haha
When I drink beer at night, I often stare at the night sky. I feel it actual is so empty. So, I think if a football is kicked into the sky (just as that one shot by the American captain in the film "the Battle Ship"), will it be able to run outside our galaxy, the Milky Way? (the affection of gravity and other miscellaneous elements such as asteroids, expansion, etc, are ignored. And the ball should not be targeted at the nearby stars such as the Sun, the moon, etc, intentionally. )

Jun 2016
England
For the rain, you need to angle your body to provide the smallest projected area in the direction of the combined vector of the rainfall and your running.

If you run too fast, you will be unable to maintain this angle.
One might imagine having support sticks with rollers to enable you to keep the perfect angle,
but then one might as well have an umbrella...

The kicked football would have to reach <escape velocity>

Mar 2019
cosmos
Gravity ignored, I have mentioned. Actually the story of football is the extention of the story of raining.

Mar 2019
cosmos
The American captain should not kick the ball himself at that situation. He should let his team member to do it. That's wise choice. Details see film "the Battle Ship".
But nonetheless, the American captain is a hero, haha...
When this semi-tramp met Chuchu (楚楚) 2 plus years ago in Ronggui township, he did have no such courage.haha...

Attachments

Last edited:
Similar Physics Discussions Physics Forum Date
Physics Discussions