Proper Terminology / Name

May 2014
Hello all - hopefully this question isn't too low brow for this forum, but if anyone can help me with this it's gotta be this forum!

I've been stumped in what I thought would be a simple bit of research into determining the proper name or term for an effect or perception of sound, which is basically when a "louder" sound drowns out a "quieter" sound.

Simple example for a simple question: if you're walking around on wood floors in dress shoes you can easily hear your footsteps. If someone in the room turns up a guitar amp to 11, you can no longer hear your footsteps, even though your steps are still producing the same sound waves.

Is there a proper way to refer to this? Thanks for any help!

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
Hello all - hopefully this question isn't too low brow for this forum, but if anyone can help me with this it's gotta be this forum!

I've been stumped in what I thought would be a simple bit of research into determining the proper name or term for an effect or perception of sound, which is basically when a "louder" sound drowns out a "quieter" sound.

Simple example for a simple question: if you're walking around on wood floors in dress shoes you can easily hear your footsteps. If someone in the room turns up a guitar amp to 11, you can no longer hear your footsteps, even though your steps are still producing the same sound waves.

Is there a proper way to refer to this? Thanks for any help!
What you are looking for has to do with the energy, or sound intensity, of the wave. See this article.

-Dan