Optical non reflective surface

Apr 2013
Hello everyone

I have some optical surfaces and want to make them non reflective. The material is Aluminium and I have black anodized it ,but again there is reflects that disturbs my system.
How can I cope with this problem?

Thanks in advance
Vahab

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
Hello everyone

I have some optical surfaces and want to make them non reflective. The material is Aluminium and I have black anodized it ,but again there is reflects that disturbs my system.
How can I cope with this problem?

Thanks in advance
Vahab
I don't know what "black anodized" means, so if what I'm suggesting is what you've already done, then please ignore this post.

You will probably want to use a surface that is rough, sandpaperish rough would likely do the trick. Another thought I just had is to coat the surface with rubber.

-Dan

ChipB

PHF Helper
Jun 2010
Morristown, NJ USA
"Black anodized" is a surface prep typically used with aluminum to reduce corrosion. It is not a good choice for making something optically black (i.e. non-reflective). A better choice would be flat black paint. Also as topsquark suggested black rubber coating may be a good choice as well.

MBW

Apr 2008
Bedford, England
Try posting your question on an astronomy forum,
I am sure I have seen this sort of thing come up in discussions of telescope manufacture.

ChipB

PHF Helper
Jun 2010
Morristown, NJ USA
Try posting your question on an astronomy forum,
I am sure I have seen this sort of thing come up in discussions of telescope manufacture.
Absolutely right. Amateur astronomers will often use flat black paint on the inside of their telescope tubes to cut down on reflections and glare. Another common technique is to use black cloth.