Magnetic forces and Magnetic fields Homework (in need of help ASAP)

Jan 2019
hi!
I really need help in solving this problem. i do not know hot to get the y and z components of the magnetic field vector. who can help me please?
A 2.5 nC particle of mass 5.25x10^-6 kg moves through a uniform magnetic field of 7.5 T directed down at 30 degrees in the y-z plane. find the force on the particle at the instant its velocity is 8.0x10^4 m/s along the y axis.

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
hi!
I really need help in solving this problem. i do not know hot to get the y and z components of the magnetic field vector. who can help me please?
A 2.5 nC particle of mass 5.25x10^-6 kg moves through a uniform magnetic field of 7.5 T directed down at 30 degrees in the y-z plane. find the force on the particle at the instant its velocity is 8.0x10^4 m/s along the y axis.
B is directed downward (aka in the negative z direction) at an angle of 30 degrees below the +y, so \(\displaystyle B_y = B ~ cos(30)\) and \(\displaystyle B_z = - B ~ sin(30)\).

If it helps you to visualize it recast this into the form that the field is 30 degrees below the +x axis. Then \(\displaystyle B_x = B ~ cos(30)\) and \(\displaystyle B_y = - B ~ cos(30)\).

-Dan

Reactions: 1 person