light emitting diode fabricated by the overgrowth of InAs dots on top of micron-sized

Nov 2016
Marseille
Hello,
I'm working on a research paper that I have to present next week, it was published in 2012, i just have to read it, understand what it talks about and make a 5 minutes presentation than the discussion.
The problem is that I am new at this field (nano electronics) and English isn't my first so i am facing difficulties to understand the contain and translation sometimes doesn't work with the scientific vocabulary.
so if you could please help me to understand the following statements:
* "we describe the fabrication and preliminary characterization of a novel cross-wire light emitting diode fabricated by the overgrowth of InAs dots on top of micron-sized mesa patterns" (what's micron-sized mesa patterns??)
* "The change in mesa profile with GaAs buffer growth, and the dependence of the number of InAs chains on the final mesa width is quantified, and electroluminescence from a device containing approximately seven chains of InAs QDs has been demonstrated" (it's the word mesa that i can't understand)
thank you for your help.

Jun 2016
England
A mesa is a geographical term for a type of flat topped hill/mountain.
see this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa

So you paper is talking about tiny piles of material with a flat top and steeply sloping sides that if you scaled them up to the size of mountains, would look like a Mesa.

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2016
Marseille
Thank you very much for your reply ;) it looks logical... I'm going to check :)