L Angle Capacity

May 2019
Hi there people,

Need help with our situation.

Mirror: 2440mm x 1500mm x 50mm wide.
Weight: 150kg

We want to mount the mirror against a brick wall (floating style) and plan on using aluminium L angles to support the TOP and bottom of the mirror. I would like to determine if the 50mm x 50mm x 3mm thick aluminium angle (2440mm length) is strong enough to support the weight of the mirror. Worry is about the L angle bending. One side of the L angle will be mounted on the wall.

Hope someone can address this by Monday.

Thank you.

Regards,

Alvin

Jun 2016
England
Some simple sums might help.

2 aluminium supports, each 2440 mm long holding 150 kg

So 75 kg on each support is an easy start.

75/244 = about a third of a kilo per centimetre of 3 mm aluminium.

I would be more worried about the strength of your screws or bolts and rawlplugs.

May 2019
Thanks for your response!

Are you saying 1 length of 2440mm L angle can hold 150kg?
Even though we are using 2, 1 is on the TOP so would not be bearing much load. It’ll just be keeping the mirror against the wall.

We will be using expansion bolts for the brick walls so should not be a problem for that. My concern was the L angle taking the weight of the mirror.

“75kg” on each support - then I would be worried as 1 support will only be on the bottom of the mirror.

Some simple sums might help.

2 aluminium supports, each 2440 mm long holding 150 kg

So 75 kg on each support is an easy start.

75/244 = about a third of a kilo per centimetre of 3 mm aluminium.

I would be more worried about the strength of your screws or bolts and rawlplugs.

Jun 2016
England
I still think you should be OK
If you have an off-cut of the aluminium angle (just a centimeter perhaps)
Try bending it.

I think you will find it will take more than hanging a kilo or so on it to get it to bend significantly.