How much mass would you need to add to the moon to hold any real kind of atmosphere

Apr 2019
Mass most definitely is needed , this is the minimum requirement I outlined ... the velocity of gas molecules must be below escape velocity for the moon/planet ....

Then if you have solar wind then you also need a magnetic field to stop the gas being "blown away" ... A magnetic field will have no direct effect on the gas , why would it ?? A magnetic field will in no way confine the gas to the moon/planet , it just diverts the solar wind.

I never figured that the magnetic field did any more. Did suggest starting with Heavier Gas molecules in hopes their extra mass helps with lowering of its escape velocity. Think the next question is. Is there enough extra mass stored in the solar system for some future peoples to do this.

Oct 2017
Glasgow
I never figured that the magnetic field did any more. Did suggest starting with Heavier Gas molecules in hopes their extra mass helps with lowering of its escape velocity. Think the next question is. Is there enough extra mass stored in the solar system for some future peoples to do this.
You're talking about terraforming. In principle it is possible, but it would take an enormous amount of resources (science fiction level stuff!)

Apr 2019
You're talking about terraforming. In principle it is possible, but it would take an enormous amount of resources (science fiction level stuff!)

Yes I am. I know its science fiction stuff. Often down the road Science fiction becomes fiction, A very long road with this. Im simply wondering if one day a long ways from now, if their is enough mass in the available asteroids to do it. That will determine if it stays science fiction for ever or weather ONE day Maybe 1000 years or so from now it could become a real thing. Weather or not we ever did it is another.

Oct 2017
Glasgow
Yes I am. I know its science fiction stuff. Often down the road Science fiction becomes fiction, A very long road with this. Im simply wondering if one day a long ways from now, if their is enough mass in the available asteroids to do it. That will determine if it stays science fiction for ever or weather ONE day Maybe 1000 years or so from now it could become a real thing. Weather or not we ever did it is another.
Who knows. It's fun to speculate on the kinds of capabilities humankind might have in, say, 1000 years, 10,000 years, etc... but it seems like most people struggle to even predict what things would be like in 20 years, let alone 100 years or more.

Jun 2016
England
There are a couple of symmetrical problems with moving comets and/or asteroids for terraforming processes
Either it would take inordinate amounts of energy (to move these things quickly),
Or it would take inordinate amounts of time (to move these things economically).

Apr 2019
There are a couple of symmetrical problems with moving comets and/or asteroids for terraforming processes
Either it would take inordinate amounts of energy (to move these things quickly),
Or it would take inordinate amounts of time (to move these things economically).
looking at our advancements over any given amount of time and wondering what we will do in 1000 years is fun. Its clear to see that we are truly about to become a multi planetary species very soon (tri planetary) At the moment its almost inconceivable to imagine moving asteroids. I think this will become a thing one day as we move out there.

Cost is relative to the scale of what we are doing (infrastructure set up) When it becomes cheaper to move it then mine it in place.

Cost of propulsion to do the job goes down when its the 10,000th of that item built.

What if you slowly drop it or lay it on the surface then mine it. If you had the control to set it down hard enough to melt it and surroundings some and not through up a large plume (help separate materials) - Weird thought - The thought that started this.