High energy physics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2018
I cannot think of a single particle invention that was produced by high energy physics. Can anyone name an invention not including physics writings. Do you think that someday that PP will discover anti-gravity in your life time?

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
I cannot think of a single particle invention that was produced by high energy physics. Can anyone name an invention not including physics writings. Do you think that someday that PP will discover anti-gravity in your life time?
I'm not sure what you mean by "invention." I'll take a quick stab at it anyway. Both particle accelerators (and a few other techniques when the power requirements are much smaller) and theory have respectively measured and predicted particles.

As to anti-gravity my prediction is that it's going to be a long time before we can do anything with that. You essentially need to have two "large" objects (possibly something like anti-oxygen as an example) that you can demonstrate the effect which is, of course, going to be very small. We currently don't have the ability to create an anti-element and keep it safe from regular matter for any length of time.

-Dan

Apr 2018
An invention would be similar to thermo--cars and circuits--TV. So what invention can we attribute to PP.

Your anti-gravity assumption is a theory right?

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
An invention would be similar to thermo--cars and circuits--TV. So what invention can we attribute to PP.

Your anti-gravity assumption is a theory right?
Unlike you I believe (and most of the scientific establishment will agree with this) that an assumption is merely an assumption. Assumptions are not theories.

Thread closed.

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.