Greenhouse model

Mar 2019
cosmos
Now is October already. The temperature still can reach 33~34 degree Celsius at noon. About 3 degrees higher than the same period a few years ago. The term "greenhouse effect" is well-known to guys no matter what discipline he majors in. How to cool down the Earth for the survival of human is not a strange topic worldwide. The answer is:
A. No one knows.

Attachments

Mar 2019
cosmos
not for anyone here

This semi-tramp hereby say that the local dark force (江门地方黑恶势力钟永康集团/九一四牛顿定律) should not be so exciting and happy although that dragon's X4 thread closed. haha...

Attachments

Oct 2017
Glasgow
Now is October already. The temperature still can reach 33~34 degree Celsius at noon. About 3 degrees higher than the same period a few years ago. The term "greenhouse effect" is well-known to guys no matter what discipline he majors in. How to cool down the Earth for the survival of human is not a strange topic worldwide. The answer is:
A. No one knows.
If you're curious about climate change, try reading this:

http://www.withouthotair.com/cft.pdf

Although this study applies to the UK, the same approach can be applied anywhere, so it's a nice example of how one can approach climate studies and link science together with policy.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
cosmos
curious

This semi-tramp is more curious about how to make money now...

Attachments

Oct 2017
Glasgow
This semi-tramp is more curious about how to make money now...
The cost of PV panels and Li-ion batteries is reducing considerably. They are now competitive with fossil fuels. Therefore, if I were you, I would invest in the renewable energy sector. It's going to boom over the next 20 years.

Mar 2019
cosmos
Too complicated...
This semi-tramp heard that guys emit waste gas directly and randomly into the 3D space can save much cost and make much money...one outstanding example is thermal power plant...
It's so simple...

Attachments

Jun 2016
England
Sort Termism.

The problem is short term simplicity, verses long term catastrophe.

We are already seeing clear and definite evidence of long term significant changes due to "global warming".
I am probably of an age where I will likely be dead before the worst problems arise,
(this also applies to most of the politicians we are relying upon to make decisions about how to tackle this)
but I worry about the issues that the younger members of my family will have to deal with.

Oct 2017
Glasgow
Too complicated...
This semi-tramp heard that guys emit waste gas directly and randomly into the 3D space can save much cost and make much money...one outstanding example is thermal power plant...
It's so simple...
I think selling PV panels or wind turbines to people isn't hard... but okay!

Yeah... the situation with thermal power plants differs from country to country.

In the UK, there are virtually no coal power plants any more and most of the combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) plants are highly engineered designs with heat recovery devices, cooling tower cooling systems (which are economical with water and have very advanced designs) and optimised operation. Improvements to fossil-fuel power efficiency is difficult because most of the obvious stuff has been installed already. This is why the UK government is investing heavily in renewables (although not as much as I'd personally like... they just sold the UK Green Investment bank to a multi-national corporation, presumably so the government can stop adding money to the fund).

However, in other countries, like India, the number of fossil-fuelled power plants is still very high and there is definitely scope for technologies to be installed in those facilities that improve the overall efficiency, either by reducing thermal losses, reducing the parasitic power of auxiliary equipment or optimising the operation of the auxiliary equipment at part-load. There's plenty of papers to read to that effect.

I'm very curious to see how the energy sector is going to change in Europe now that renewables are a sound investment, even from the perspective of a cold-hearted, greedy investor who only cares about ROI and payback time.

Mar 2019
cosmos
@bunny:
Sounds that UK is a good country...It's said that more than 70 percent of the PV panels are "made in China"...I saw that compound device in the backyard of a household: a small wind turbine and two PV panel on top of a pole...It's interesting.
@Woody:
"...I worry about the issues that the younger members of my family will have to deal with. "
So, you have to sell PV panel and wind turbine...even have to try to do something more than that..

Attachments

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2016
England
Personal Inertia

You are of course correct,
It is as much up to us individuals to do our bit
rather than just expecting others (for example the politicians) to fix things for us.