GR deals with what is Real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2016
England
This thread has become a bit disjointed, (due to the problems with disappearing posts)
and Benit is correct, it is primarily a philosophical issue,

However I would just like to add that there is a multiverse argument which attacks this issue.
Basically the particles are 100% real, but not in 100% of the "parallel" multiverses.

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
Yes, scifimath has been deleting his extra posts. (The Moderator queue barfed for some reason so we had a lot of extra post attempts.)

I agree we are more on terms of Philosophy here and that the thread has become rather messy. I have no problem with it here if you all can work with it. I'll leave the decision of creating a new thread under Philosophy or to keep it here to scifimath.

-Dan

Aug 2019
It is curious to me that spacetime limits the speed of light and gravity to the same speed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2019/10/24/this-is-why-the-speed-of-gravity-must-equal-the-speed-of-light/#737e30e62fc0

There shouldn't be limits unless this is a simulation.

General Relativity = Reality = Spacetime

Spacetime = Physical Matter = Wave Collapse = Decoherence = Matter Field State = Zero Diffraction Showing Fringes = Universal Analog Simulation

Analog Simulation = Light/Gravity Limit
Limits imply a frame rate is necessary for a processor to refresh.

The universe without spacetime would be quantum wave information that could never become real/physical.

Spacetime is the tip of the iceberg that it represents. Yes it is space and time intertwined ..but it is so much more than that.

Last edited:

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
It is curious to me that spacetime limits the speed of light and gravity to the same speed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2019/10/24/this-is-why-the-speed-of-gravity-must-equal-the-speed-of-light/#737e30e62fc0

There shouldn't be limits unless this is a simulation.

General Relativity = Reality = Spacetime

Spacetime is the tip of the iceberg that it represents. Yes it is space and time intertwined ..but it is so much more than that.
I've decided to mainly avoid commenting in this thread but a couple of points:

1. The speed of light. The article touches on this but the Math goes deeper. We can use the GR field equations to predict that gravity waves travel with a speed c. This also holds in QM so long as the graviton is a massless particle. All massless particles have a speed c in QM. This covers photons, gravitons, and neutrinos. QCD predicts that gluons are massless also, but the speed of a gluon can't be measured at present or possibly ever due to color confinement.

2. For the sake of clarity, not Physics or any attempt to try to correct what you are saying, What do you mean when you say "General Relativity = Reality" How are you using the equal sign here?

3. Space-time. Oh yeah! There is no end to the fun you can have with it. There are the "paradoxes" which show a bit of how deep the rabbit hole goes, but once you get some more advanced Math techniques in there, such as some basic work with indefinite metric spaces, the fun really starts.

-Dan

Last edited:
Aug 2019
The "unobserved" isn't real/physical and therefore not involved with spacetime. It doesn't have gravitons.

Consider the universe without spacetime. I believe there is an era before spacetime. ..Nothing was real/physical. General Relativity didn't exist.

Aug 2019
If you were a god and wanted life to be a thing ..you would have to create something that worked on the existing system (quantum wave information). Living things need things/environment/themselves to be real/physical to work. It makes sense for a "god" to write an analog simulation called spacetime.

Jun 2016
England
Infinite Turtles

I think Occum's razor slices through the old simulation conjecture.
Besides which if our reality is a simulation within a "more real" reality,
then is that second reality a simulation within a third, etc...

The speed of light does seem to be a fundamental feature of the geometry of the 4 dimensional space-time structure of the universe,
Which is imposed by the intimate connection between spacial distance and timewise distance and the interplay between them as mediated by speed.

Last edited:
Aug 2019
Unobserved quantum waves do not follow the laws set by spacetime. The Unreal is a dimension that has always existed. It's the root. Spacetime has a beginning.

Can an Analog simulation survive Occum's razor?

Jun 2016
England
You are correct that there does seem to be a fairly fundamental disconnect between GR and QM as they are currently understood.
And I suspect that you are correct in suggesting that this points to some, possibly major, mistakes in our interpretation of the nature of the mechanisms of the universe.

However I firmly believe this is only due to a gap in our current understanding,
and that we will eventually be able to fill that gap.

On the other hand, I don't feel that your frankly rather mystical magical suggestions point toward the route to the solution.
That is just a personal opinion, but I suspect that it will mirror the opinions of most of the members of this site.

Aug 2019
I'm not claiming every sentence is right, but I do think I'm close. Closer than anyone before me trying to fill the gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.