Galaxies are seperating faster than light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2019
What?

If that were true, our galaxy would be moving faster than light.

Why aren't people making a bigger deal about the gaps between galaxies expanding faster than light? If the galaxies aren't actually moving that fast ..it implies nothingness has a variable of distance that doesn't actually produce physical distance. It's unreal distance? Unobservable distance? Devoid of spacetime?

It's as if spacetime bubbles cause galaxies to free fall through nothingness to cause these gaps between them. Or maybe the opposite ..the bubbles are rising.

Should we start screwing around with an extra dimension to explain it?

The extra distance probably isn't even in the direction they are moving.

Nobody questions how weird this is?

How do you get soo much extra distance between two galaxies without increasing their speed to makeup for the space?

The galaxy bubbles stay where they are but the nothingness around them is expanding and caking "distance" onto the bubbles as it runs past them?

The unobserved quantum field is what causes the universe to expand ..not the big bang.

Aug 2019
Maybe being pushed into nothingness doesn't give you speed.

Oct 2017
Glasgow
Are you familiar with the concept of comoving distances and proper distances? That might help resolve some of the confusion you may have regarding modern cosmology and trying to understand the current theories regarding expanding space.

Try taking a look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comoving_and_proper_distances

If that doesn't help, maybe someone more familiar with cosmology can help?

Last edited:
Aug 2019
The concepts of comoving distances and proper distances don't answer where the extra distance is coming from without causing the objects to change speed.

I think this is more proof that spacetime doesn't exist outside of galaxies.

Aug 2019
If spacetime galaxy bubbles don't expand much internally ..the universe we know about (the bubbles) isn't expanding. Nothingness (the quantum field without fluctuations) is.

Oct 2017
Glasgow
The concepts of comoving distances and proper distances don't answer where the extra distance is coming from without causing the objects to change speed.

I think this is more proof that spacetime doesn't exist outside of galaxies.
What do you mean by "extra distance"? "Proper distance" is not affected by expanding space whereas "comoving distance" is influenced by the expansion of space. Do you mean the difference between the two? If so, then the source of that difference is the expansion of space.

Aug 2019
Picture raisons in a block of Jell-O, each raison is a galaxy and the Jell-O is the expansion of space. In order for a raison to reach a new location from the expansion ..you would expect that raisin to be given speed to get there. How did the distance get farther without moving the galaxy?

Aug 2019
I'm starting to think each galaxy is its own universe.

Aug 2019
Was there one continuous spacetime bubble at the beginning and then super duper blackholes broke it apart? Does each galaxy have a super massive black hole at the center because it was once a white hole feeding from the first spacetime bubble? Do spacetime galaxies spread apart because the anchor white holes are separating from an expanding original spacetime bubble? ..a mother bubble.

Last edited:
Oct 2017
Glasgow
Picture raisons in a block of Jell-O, each raison is a galaxy and the Jell-O is the expansion of space. In order for a raison to reach a new location from the expansion ..you would expect that raisin to be given speed to get there. How did the distance get farther without moving the galaxy?
Well, the Jello is expanding, so the raisins move farther apart from each other as a natural consequence of that. The speed doesn't have to be *given* to it... none of the raisins are actually accelerating in their local reference frame, but if they try and observe each other using telescopes, each raisin will see every other raisin moving away from it with some recession velocity because of the expansion.

The current set of mathematics that describes expanding space and cosmology involves some very heavy general relativity, which I don't know anything about unfortunately. I studied cosmology at University at a more basic level and I did buy some textbooks to try and study it in more detail, but it's tough subject matter and I would need to devote quite a lot of time to it to make progress. If you're interested in the details, I can perhaps recommend that you take a look at the Friedmann equation and the basics of the scale factor and move from there... that stuff is more accessible than applied general relativity and the Lambda-CDM cosmological model. That might give you some of the answers, if not all of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar Physics Discussions Physics Forum Date
General Physics