Find initial velocity of projectile

Apr 2018
ballistic pendulum initially at rest. projectile with mass m=10g hits object M=2kg and remains stuck and it goes up to height h=20cm. no air friction.
im foreign and i tried to translate it i hope it s clear, i'm in ninth grade and i guess i didnt really understand the theory. i tried to solve it but i dont think its correct.
can someone also explain the solution to me please?

edit:i think i figured it out

Last edited:
Aug 2010
If mass m1 has speed v, then it has kinetic energy m1v^2. Mass m2 has 0 speed so initial kinetic energy 0. Taking potential energy to be at be bottom of the pendulum, where the two masses first strike, the total energy of the system is m1v^2. At height h= 20 cm, the system potential energy is h(m1+ m2)g and, since two masses stop there, the system kinetic energy is 0. Since the total energy is conserved, we must have m1v^2= h(m1+ m2)g. Solve that equation for v.

(Because the two objects stick together their collision is NOT "elastic" and kinetic energy is not conserved but the total energy of the system is conserved.)

It is hard to tell what "m1" and "m2" are because, in your textbook, the two masses are called "m1" and "m2" in the picture but "m" and "M" in the text.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Apr 2018
If mass m1 has speed v, then it has kinetic energy m1v^2. Mass m2 has 0 speed so initial kinetic energy 0. Taking potential energy to be at be bottom of the pendulum, where the two masses first strike, the total energy of the system is m1v^2. At height h= 20 cm, the system potential energy is h(m1+ m2)g and, since two masses stop there, the system kinetic energy is 0. Since the total energy is conserved, we must have m1v^2= h(m1+ m2)g. Solve that equation for v.

(Because the two objects stick together their collision is NOT "elastic" and kinetic energy is not conserved but the total energy of the system is conserved.)

It is hard to tell what "m1" and "m2" are because, in your textbook, the two masses are called "m1" and "m2" in the picture but "m" and "M" in the text.
Thanks a lot!'Taking potential energy to be at be bottom of the pendulum' here you mean that its 0 then?

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J530F folosind Tapatalk

Apr 2018
Thanks a lot!'Taking potential energy to be at be bottom of the pendulum' here you mean that its 0 then?

And m2=m
m1=M

Aug 2010

Yes, I intended to write 'Taking potential energy to be 0 at the bottom of the pendulum'

Reactions: 1 person