Electric field strength between two rings:

Jul 2018
Hi to everyone! I'm here to ask how could you resolve this problem about electric fields: two charges q1= 1.88*10^-8 and q2=-7.54*10^-8 are evenly distributed on two rings with the same radius R=30 cm, positioned above two parallel planes, far each other d=3mm. We have to calculate the strength that the first ring applies on the second ring (NOT IN THE CENTRE, BUT IN EACH MICRO-PART OF THE RING). Someone suggested me to approximate the rings with two wires because d<<R and that actually works. But I wanna have a formula which is always effective foe the calculus, not only in this case. Someone else suggested me to consider the the variable distance with the polar coordinates: x1=Rcost, y1=Rsint and z1=0 for the first ring and x2=Rcosp, y2=Rsinp and z=d , then find the result of:

K*q1q2* Double Integral from 0 to 2Pi of 1/((R^2(cost-cosp)^2)+(R^2(sint-sinp)^2)+d^2)) But the result of integral is 0 and it does not make sense. SOME CAN HELP ME!!! Thanks very much to everyone!!

Pmb

PHF Hall of Fame
Apr 2009
Boston's North Shore
Forum rules require you to show us an attempt by you first or why you're unable to start.