Pmb

PHF Hall of Fame
Apr 2009
Boston's North Shore
Reactions: 1 person
Oct 2017
Glasgow
Does dark matter bend light?
Yes. The bending of light by celestial bodies is called "gravitational lensing". The lensing effect has been confirmed for certain fields of view where the object that causes the lensing can be observed in addition to the lensing effects. Then, in other fields of view, there can be cases where lensing effects are observed, but the object causing it is not. We can then use the lensing effects to try and obtain knowledge of the unobserved entity (or, in other words, it is an indirect observation). Afaik, the total mass of galaxies is required to explain the lensing effect in most cases (observed matter + dark matter component).

Jun 2018
Paraguay
They "invented" dark matter to make their formulas and how they apply to galaxies come out right. But then they found what they overlooked and decided that there doesn't need to be any dark matter.
Isn't it just awesome how scientists "fill in the gap" but when theists say there must be a creator because inanimate matter does not arrange it self in super complex forms and give itself life and make its own genetic code for cellular maintenance and reproduction, well no no no you can't "fill in the gap". That's "unscientific"!

Pmb

PHF Hall of Fame
Apr 2009
Boston's North Shore
They "invented" dark matter to make their formulas and how they apply to galaxies come out right. But then they found what they overlooked and decided that there doesn't need to be any dark matter.
Isn't it just awesome how scientists "fill in the gap" but when theists say there must be a creator because inanimate matter does not arrange it self in super complex forms and give itself life and make its own genetic code for cellular maintenance and reproduction, well no no no you can't "fill in the gap". That's "unscientific"!
When you make accusations like this you need to back them up. Especially since everything you said is wrong.

Jun 2018
Paraguay
Show me the evidence that "dark matter" exists.
(hint- it only exists in your mind)

Jun 2018
Paraguay
I can't believe ya'll didn't get the memo. I thought everyone knew. This just goes to show how people are. An authority figure pronounces something like its fact and people automatically believe it and then defend it till they are bludgeoned with facts till at their bloody deathbed they realize they were wrong.
Sad fact about most humans is that they have a tribal mentality. It's only been 10,000 years or so since we were living in tribes. That mentality is hard wired into us still. Evolution hasn't changed it yet. That mentality was forced out of me by constantly being rejected from all tribes through all my schooling. So I naturally think independently. I study everything myself. I listen to everyone but believe no one. I believe where the logic and facts lead.
Oh, the memo. You're waiting for the memo still.
Many versions of it exist on YouTube. Just look up "Dark Matter Debunked ".
(don't worry, it's actual scientists and really smart people recorded debunking the idea, not just conspiracy theorists)

you're welcome

Jun 2016
England
The whole of existence is only in your mind!

OK, dark matter is a "guess" to fill a gap in the model we have constructed of what we observe.
But then that can be said of literally everything.

If you can come up with a better guess, go ahead.
There is little "direct" evidence of dark matter,
and there are plenty of imaginative thinkers looking for alternative ideas,
but dark matter remains the best idea we have (at the moment).

Oct 2017
Glasgow
Show me the evidence that "dark matter" exists.
(hint- it only exists in your mind)
Here's a review paper on dark matter with an explanation of the history of observations that led to dark matter:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1006.2483.pdf

(hint: dark matter is just the name for the mass discrepancy required to explain observed rotation profile of galaxy spiral arms. It exists even if the actual solution to the problem is not additional matter, but MOND or something else).

Jun 2016
England
Theological side-effects.

Regarding the introduction of a Deity to fill the knowledge gaps,
Occam's razor comes into play.

Invoking a Deity unavoidably introduces a whole raft of additional philosophical, moral, and of course theological issues.

Dark matter solves the observed modelling gap, with a minimum of side-effects.

Looking over historical Deity centric explanations (eg Zeus throwing Lightening bolts)
we find that as knowledge of the phenomena increases,
the theistic explanation loses credibility, even among theistic believers.