Distribution of force

Ken

Apr 2008
Strathalbyn SA Aust.
I have a 100 metre steel cable weighing 70kg stretched between two posts so as to have a caternary (droop) of 3.6 metres. I add a load of 100kg to the centre of the cable.
Using Microstran V8 I find that the force created is 800kgs.
Is that result refering to only one of the posts or distributed between posts, in which case each post holds 400kgs?
The alternative is that the actual total load is 1600kgs, a figure which seems rather eccesive.
I do not actually have access to Microstran. I am hoping someone who does can run the calculation. Thanks

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
I have a 100 metre steel cable weighing 70kg stretched between two posts so as to have a caternary (droop) of 3.6 metres. I add a load of 100kg to the centre of the cable.
Using Microstran V8 I find that the force created is 800kgs.
Is that result refering to only one of the posts or distributed between posts, in which case each post holds 400kgs?
The alternative is that the actual total load is 1600kgs, a figure which seems rather eccesive.
I do not actually have access to Microstran. I am hoping someone who does can run the calculation. Thanks
Why don't you post this question over at MHF and see what you get. I can't answer the question myself and there aren't many helpers over here at this site yet. (MHF is the sister site for this one, but you'll have to get an username there, too.) Put it in the "Applied Math" subforum.

-Dan