Dipole magnet as a cathode

Mar 2019
cosmos
That flagpole seems to want a tabloid description for his layman audience...

Jun 2019
Thanks for the replies.
Yeah I wanted vivid, philosophical and thought I had it.. then the goal posts got moved; from just a magnet to an electromagnet.
Here my knowledge falls down. While I know the electromagnet concept, I can't say I know if a dipolar magnet can be sustained as the load in a circuit, now I don't mean wrapping the conductor around a ferrite type of circuit, I mean the ferrite as the conductor if you see what i mean. I'd instinctively go with no because I doubt a dipole field could form, other than the field be some degree out of phase following the neutron or electron.. but then I think plasma ball and I have no idea if they are possibly dipolar if even in theory or if they're even magnetic at all.
Think I might retire myself from the planned discussion in all honesty, the more I read the fewer answers I have, I just end up with more questions.

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
Thanks for the replies.
Yeah I wanted vivid, philosophical and thought I had it.. then the goal posts got moved; from just a magnet to an electromagnet.
Here my knowledge falls down. While I know the electromagnet concept, I can't say I know if a dipolar magnet can be sustained as the load in a circuit, now I don't mean wrapping the conductor around a ferrite type of circuit, I mean the ferrite as the conductor if you see what i mean. I'd instinctively go with no because I doubt a dipole field could form, other than the field be some degree out of phase following the neutron or electron.. but then I think plasma ball and I have no idea if they are possibly dipolar if even in theory or if they're even magnetic at all.
Think I might retire myself from the planned discussion in all honesty, the more I read the fewer answers I have, I just end up with more questions.
Just to be clear, all magnetic fields have a dipole moment, unless you specifically design things like a perfect quadrupole or something. Electromagnets in electric circuits are all dipoles.

-Dan

Mar 2019
cosmos
@Gentley:
perhaps the "lounge" columne might be more suitable for you...and there you will feel something special...

Jun 2019
Just so I'm clear on what your saying; the field lines of a length of charged conductor match that of the classic north south torrid shape from an average bar magnet? And that just terminating the conductor at an arbitrary point along its length as long as there is a physical object that could be electromagnetic once charged then the current will still flow? Considering I've not actually completed the circuit with an earth or nutral, just the EM as the cathode in effect.
I suspect previously I've not phrased the question properly, since the original parameter changed the questions dynamic changed and does go above my pay grade somewhat. It's been more than two decades since I've done any written theory, but I certainly don't recall field lines running along side a conductor, but rather orbiting it, and I don't recall an electromagnet completing a circuit either..

I'd thought given the original question I was posed that this was the appropriate section of the forum for it. Should I find I'm totally off base here I'll go hang my head in shame in the lounge no worries.

Jun 2019
I feel i may be phrasing the question poorly.
The EM being the circuit is the point of the question.. the circuit doesn't have a v-, neutral or earth, rather the EM is in effect the cathode. Will current flow? Also that the field lines of any given length of the conductor attached from an anode to said EM would match that of the classic bar magnet and not change shape or orientation entirly?
It's been over two decades since I put pen to paper for any theory, but neither situation seems plausible to me.

I thought given my original question this was the appropriate section of the forum, since it changed dynamic to somthing above my pay grade, should I be totally of the mark here I'll go hang my head in shame in the lounge

Last edited:
Mar 2019
cosmos
We drink beer as well as calculate equations in the lounge...

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
I feel i may be phrasing the question poorly.
The EM being the circuit is the point of the question.. the circuit doesn't have a v-, neutral or earth, rather the EM is in effect the cathode. Will current flow? Also that the field lines of any given length of the conductor attached from an anode to said EM would match that of the classic bar magnet and not change shape or orientation entirly?
It's been over two decades since I put pen to paper for any theory, but neither situation seems plausible to me.

I thought given my original question this was the appropriate section of the forum, since it changed dynamic to somthing above my pay grade, should I be totally of the mark here I'll go hang my head in shame in the lounge
Feel free to hang out in the Lounge, too, but you're fine here.

-Dan

Jun 2016
England
A picture is worth a thousand words,

Hi Gentley,
I don't think I am following your description.
Is there any chance of you attaching a drawing?