Deriving the spin-orbit interaction

Oct 2016
Hey all,

I'm a first year in engineering grad school who is taking a solid state physics course, and I'm having a tough time with a problem on my first problem set (#3, attached).

I've spoken with my professor, and I was given the following advice:
"write the two wave equations for the two-vectors phi and chi, solve for chi in terms of phi, take the non-relativistic limit. Eigenvalue eqn: H (phi) = E (phi), and you should be able to identify the spin-orbit term in H.

Could anyone explain how to even begin this problem? I've attached the relevant information from my class notes, but I don't have much exposure to these types of manipulations so they are pretty obscure to me.

Thank you!

Attachments

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
Hey all,

I'm a first year in engineering grad school who is taking a solid state physics course, and I'm having a tough time with a problem on my first problem set (#3, attached).

I've spoken with my professor, and I was given the following advice:
"write the two wave equations for the two-vectors phi and chi, solve for chi in terms of phi, take the non-relativistic limit. Eigenvalue eqn: H (phi) = E (phi), and you should be able to identify the spin-orbit term in H.

Could anyone explain how to even begin this problem? I've attached the relevant information from my class notes, but I don't have much exposure to these types of manipulations so they are pretty obscure to me.

Thank you!
Interesting, I've never seen this one before.

You have \(\displaystyle \psi = \left ( \begin{matrix} \chi \\ \phi \end{matrix} \right )\).

Suggestions/Outline of hint:
You have the wave equation and you have the two "2-vectors" \(\displaystyle \phi\) and \(\displaystyle \chi\). Insert these into the wave equation and you will have two equations in terms of \(\displaystyle \phi\) and \(\displaystyle \chi\).
\(\displaystyle p_0 \chi - \left ( \sum_{k = 1}^3 p_n \sigma _n \right ) \phi - mc \chi = 0\), for one.

Solve one of these equations for \(\displaystyle \phi\) (for example). Then my question to you is the last part of the hint: How do you take the non-relativistic limit? (Hint: Which is bigger, \(\displaystyle p_0\) or \(\displaystyle \textbf{p}\)?)

-Dan