Dark Matter Exploration of Chinese satellite DAMPE

Mar 2019
cosmos
In the attached picture, are some data (detections of high energy electrons from cosmos) gathered by the Chinese astronomical satellite DAMPE (red) as well as by two American astronomical satellites.

Relevant reports I can find are all in Chinese language, so I do not move them here. Next, I only briefly introduce it.

It’s said that the number of high energy electrons from cosmos decrease following the increase of energy. But the Chinese satellite DAMPE probed some strange phenomena: the “peak” at about 1TeV and the “turn” at about 1.4 TeV.

A Chinese scientist said: “We are not sure if we probed dark matter…but there must be some special physics reason working…”

……………………………………………………

This kind of astronomical satellites are actually devices called “magnetic spectrometer”. Their mission targets dark matter. But I don’t know exactly how they work (use what physics principle to detect the energy of electrons from cosmos). So, no introduction in this respect presents here.

Attachments

Reactions: topsquark
Oct 2017
Glasgow
Nice. Can you please post a reference here? (author's names, title of paper, etc.)

Mar 2019
cosmos
@benit:
It's said that the Chinese Academy of Science published a report in Nature. It should be the authentic and best one.
The one in guokr.com title "悟空传来好消息,它看到暗物质了吗?" is also a good one.
But I want guys to discuss in PHF.

Attachments

Jun 2016
England
The graphs you show definitely hint at something...
but that something is showing up at the limits of the accuracy of the observations.
If we take the extremes of the error bars shown, the various observations are not too dissimilar.
However there is enough evidence here to indicate that this is a phenomena worthy of more detailed study.
Hopefully improved technology and techniques in the (not too distant) future will allow the uncertainties shown to be reduced and the subtleties of the effect to be pinned down with precision.
Once we have the required precision in the observations, we can properly start to focus on possible causes.
At the moment, there are a large number of possible causes that might fit, within the error bands.

Mar 2019
cosmos
Watch it carefully, actually there are three "turns" in the DAMPE chart (red) at about: 0.8TeV, 1.1Tev, 1.4TeV. The first and the second ones are not so obvious. There are two "turns" in the Fermi chart (blue) at about 0.8TeV, 1.1Tev too although not so obvious. There is one "turn" in the AMS02 chart (green) at about 0.7 TeV.
Although about 1.6 TeV is the extreme accuracy of DAMPE, there is enough margin to show the upward trend at 1.4 TeV.
These projects are carried out by some of the most excellent scientists in China as well as in America including professor Ding who is Nobel Price winer in MIT.

Attachments

Mar 2019
cosmos
Although the local dark force (江门地方黑恶势力钟永康集团) try every means to confine me, this semi-tramp promotes the remarkable achievement of the Chinese satellite here at this moment. 呵呵...
I read some reports last night. They all tell the same thing: the design of DAMPE targets the 1TeV ~ 10 TeV area specially. The capability of detection of DAMPE actually reaches 1TeV ~ 10 TeV .
The 1.6 TeV is actually the extreme of accuracy of the chart rather than the satellite.
I don't know why the chart just ends up at 1.6 TeV...
All reports admit the precision of the 1.4 TeV "turn".

Attachments

Jun 2016
England
It takes a lot of effort to fully analyse a large data set of the sort DAMPE will be providing.
It is quite possible that the processing of the higher energy data is simply not finished yet.
We await with interest.

Is it possible for you to insert the internet addresses, of some of the articles you mention, as internet links?
The Google translate function will probably allow us to at least get the basic ideas from a Chinese script page.

Reactions: neila9876
Oct 2017
Glasgow
@benit:
It's said that the Chinese Academy of Science published a report in Nature. It should be the authentic and best one.
The one in guokr.com title "悟空传来好消息,它看到暗物质了吗?" is also a good one.
But I want guys to discuss in PHF.
Thanks, that was enough to go searching online for resources.

It turns out DAMPE has their own website. They have a list of publications:

In particular this proceedings is available on arxiv and has some very nice preliminary results that will allow others without access to the Nature paper something to read for context.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
cosmos
I got a more explicit picture yesterday, and attach it again.
I found that people use different words such as "turn", "drop", "refined structure" to denote the unusual situations on the charts in different reports. A bit chaotic. I have to make it clear here.
In this thread, I call the unusual situation at about 1.4 TeV on the DAMPE chart (red) a "turn", at about 1 TeV a "peak".
The "turn" on the AMS02 chart (green) at about 0.7 TeV is a bit more explicit in this picture.

Attachments

Mar 2019
cosmos
I ever think that if someone trys to consider that the "peak" on the DAMPE chart is also a "turn", it is not appropriate, because it is so sharp. I am puzzled that why such a sharp signal does not appear in the Fermi chart.
The comments about the "peak" in some reports are in general terms and a bit vague, even different.
Seems I remember that one comment said that the "peak" demonstrates that there is a strong source of radiation in space not so far away, for example, a star blast might emit large quantity of higher energy electrons. If it is that case, the "peak" can not serve the evidence of "dark" matter.
So, I am more interested in the "turns".

Attachments