cusp electrons

Jan 2019
anyone knows what cusp elecons is? and when they appear?

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
anyone knows what cusp elecons is? and when they appear?
All I know about this is from what I just Googled. A "cusp" in the electron wavefunction in an atom appears at the nucleus' surface. We would expect to find a discontinuity here as the charge density has a discontinuity at this point. (This is a first order approximation. The nuclear charge density smears out a bit due to the Uncertainty Principle and the electron wavefunction changes rapidly there, but without an actual discontinuity.)

That's all I can tell you without a more in depth search.

Is this a curiosity question or are you working on something?

-Dan

Jan 2019
thanks.
i am working on a project about cusp electrons and capture to continuum but i have to translate this terms to my languge (greek) an i dont know how

Jun 2016
England
<Wiktionary:Cusp>
Note that the figurative usage and the geometric usage are actually closely connected.
Making a small change near a cusp point can produce a large change in the outcome.

An analogy might be the (American) continental divide where a drop of water falling on the west side will end up in the Pacific, while a drop of water falling just a very short distance to the east will end up in the Atlantic.

Thus one might suspect that a cusp electron is one where a tiny "push" (which would be practically negligible for a "normal" electron) would send the cusp electron along dramatically different future paths.