Coriolis effect in Space Station?

Nov 2019
Athens
How can we take advantage of the Inertia forces in a rotating reference frame to create the feel of gravity if we are on a space station ??

Oct 2017
Glasgow
Design a space station such that there is a rotating component. Have a think...

Reactions: topsquark
Oct 2017
Glasgow
Whenever I get stuck on something, I start drawing diagrams and putting forces on them. Get some scrap paper and give it a go!

It can also help to think about something a bit more down to earth and try to apply something that we understand more easily to something more difficult. In this case, perhaps we can try to think about other spinning objects that have forces in them.

I can think of a few examples but the easiest one that comes to mind is a washing machine. When the washing machine rotates, what happens to the clothes? What happens if the drum spins faster?

What kind of forces occur in a washing machine?

Reactions: topsquark
Jun 2016
England
Also consider the variation of rotational velocity with distance from the hub
and thus the changes in the inertial forces acting toward the rim.

What might this do to atmospheric convection?

Nov 2019
Athens
So, the answer is to create a space station which is rotating ???

Oct 2017
Glasgow
So, the answer is to create a space station which is rotating ???
Yes... now keep going... what shape will it be? Where will the rooms be situated? How will people live inside it? What kind of design considerations might you need to worry about? Draw some diagrams :)

Jun 2016
England
Yes, (or which as a rotating portion)
There are a number of Sci-Fi films that show some very nice examples.
2001 a space odyssey comes to mind,
the docking of the shuttle plane with the rotating space station (to a Blue Danube sound track).