Common Misconceptions in Physics II

Status
Not open for further replies.

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
Imagine only one rabbit remains in cosmos at last (of course it seems to be Dandan), will field exist?
The electron field exists at all points in the Universe. Thus there will still be a non-zero charge distribution at any point in space, no matter (pun intended) how many electrons exist in the field and thus there is also the possibility of a photon existing as well so the photon field will exist as well.

You also, of course, have the possibility of pair production.

It sounds kind of nuts but that's the way the Math works anyway. (Feel free to kick Dyson in the butt if you don't like it. He was, I think, the first to publish that one.)

-Dan

Addendum: In case you haven't heard the terminology the electron is the quantum of the electron field. The same goes for the proton, pion, etc. fields.

Oct 2017
Glasgow
Regarding the statement "it's matter that interacts."

Close, but not entirely true. If it was, then Compton scattering wouldn't exist. In Compton scattering, an electron is capable of scattering a photon and changing its trajectory, but photons have no mass.

You could probably get around it by saying "a photon has an effective mass equal to E/c^2" but then, if we're not careful, we can completely miss the point and characterise the situation incorrectly. Although technically true, the effective mass of the photon is completely unimportant in Compton scattering; the photon interacts via the EM interaction and exchanges energy and momentum with the electron. The equations that fully describe the interaction don't bother with this effective mass.

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2019
cosmos
seeds vs watermelon

"...the electron is the quantum of the electron field. The same goes for the proton, pion, etc. fields."
Sounds that that guy(Dyson) created a watermelon model of cosmos. But how big is the "watermelon"?haha...

Attachments

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
"...the electron is the quantum of the electron field. The same goes for the proton, pion, etc. fields."
Sounds that that guy(Dyson) created a watermelon model of cosmos. But how big is the "watermelon"?haha...
Huh?

-Dan

Mar 2019
cosmos
math vs physics

"...Most of Introductory level QM deals with Linear Algebra at its base concepts. Along with that concept comes "linear superposition," which means that we can simply add the wavefunctions as they move with respect to each other.

No, waves cannot be considered to be a sum of particle states."
One is from the angle of math, one is from the angle of physics. They are the same.

Mar 2019
cosmos
math vs physics

"Okay, I pretty much understand what you are talking about when you say "projections." It's pretty standard in Linear Algebra and stuff."
What render space scale in projective geometry?
Human/math?

Mar 2019
cosmos
math vs physics

@dragon:
"Okay, I pretty much understand what you are talking about when you say "projections." It's pretty standard in Linear Algebra and stuff."
What render space scale in projective geometry?
Human/math?
You never able to answer this question of yours.
Close you own thread to adoid? Or simply delete this thread of yourself? or ban me again?

Attachments

Last edited:

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
Close you own thread to adoid? Or simply delete this thread of yourself? or ban me again?
You have given me nothing to work with as far as any validated Physics/Math argument. That's why I closed the X4 thread.

I suppose I can ban you, but so far I have no reason to. Certainly nothing you've said is cause for banning you. I mean if you really want me to I can. But it's not on my "to do" list.

If you want to continue this complaint please do so via the PM system.

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.