Circuits question

Feb 2020
London
Hello, I got this question that I can't seem to figure out, the questions is as follows: 4 lamps A,B,C and D will be connected in a circuit, put them in a way that D will light up the strongest, C will light up as the next strongest, A and B must have the same strength. I tried to do few figures and ended up with 3 possible figures that I think might be right but not sure which one of them. I need D to be stronger than C, C stronger than A, B, while A,B both have the same strength. Any help for which one is right and why the other ones are wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Apr 2015
Somerset, England
This is a good question

Do you understand direct, series and parallel connections?

I assume that all four bulbs have the same resistance?
Call this R.

The light the bulb produces increase with bulb current.

So if A and B are connected in parallel they will have the same voltage across them.
Since their resistance is R for each they will also therefore have the same current in them.
So they will be equally bright.

If this combined current for A and B in parallel is fed from bulb C in series then each of A and B will see the half the current in C so A and B will be less bright than C.

The total resistance of the combination C + A//B is therefore R + R/2, which is greater than R.

So if This combination is connected directly across the battery its current will be less than the current in D if that bulb is also connected directly across the battery.

So D will be brighter than any of C, A or B

Reactions: topsquark
Feb 2020
London
All 4 lamps are alike, so they must have the same R as you mentioned,

my thought was that the first figure and the last one will give you the same results, D be the brightest, therefore I connected it directly in series, since the current in a series circuit is always the same,

therefore the current of D = Current of C+ A*2, which would results D>C, but the tricky part is to make A,B equal while C being brighter than A or B

On the second figure where A and B are in series, since all lamps are alike, AB would have higher R than C, which makes C brighter since C has a lower R, and therefore I am leaning towards figure 2 as a solutions.

Apr 2015
Somerset, England
In your fig 1

How do you think A, B and C are connected?

Your fig 3 is the connection I described

Your fig 2

This will also work, can you see why?

What is the equivalent resistance of the bulbs A, B and C in relation to the overall circuit?

Reactions: topsquark
Apr 2015
Somerset, England
Here are a couple of sketches

In (1) A and B are in parallel and in (2 )they are in series.

Attachments

Similar Physics Discussions Physics Forum Date
Electricity / Magnetism
General Physics
Electricity / Magnetism
Electricity / Magnetism