Casimir effect

Mar 2019
cosmos
When someone talks about quantum field, the feeling of ethe just popps up to me. I don't know why.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
When someone talks about quantum field, the feeling of ethe just popps up to me. I don't know why.
Me too. The lack of an aether that would allow waves to propogate is a somewhat disturbing feature of how the Universe works. Beyond working with jsut the Math I don't see how anyone could actually picture it.

-Dan

Mar 2019
cosmos
what I feel is the "vacuum" as well as the "fields" seem to be something absolute and can exist without matter.
" On layman's terms that's what the vacuum looks like, where the bumps are particles randomly popping in and out of the vacuum."
Theory? Any experiment/ astronomical observation directly prove it?

Mar 2019
cosmos
Below are abstracts from posts seem relevant in the lounge. This semi-tramp just move them here.
Topsquark’s comment:
Vacuum fluctuations:
Go back to the fields and their quanta concept. One of the Uncertainty principle's relationships is ΔE Δt ≤ℏ
We can abuse this a bit and say that we can get energy
ΔE out of the vacuum just as long as we "pay it back" in a time Δt

(Please don't quote me on that statement, it's descriptive but not really how it works.) Anyhoo this energy can go to produce particle/anti-particle pairs that recombine in a time Δt

to go back into the vacuum. This effect is called "vacuum fluctuation."

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Neila9876’ comment:

Quantum states are the key of QM.
From Duke de Broglie wavelength/frequency to wave function of free particle, to Schrodinger equation, to harmonic oscillator, to particle in Coulomb field, etc, what’s under talking is the particle itself (in different situations), what’s derived (quantum numbers, probability density, the energy levels, etc,) is the property of itself (in different situations).
When it comes up with the uncertainty principle (for example, the E, t one), what people talk about is two independent events: occurring of two particles and annihilation of two particles.

Attachments

Mar 2019
cosmos
This semi-tramp urge guys to deliver effective experimental/astronomical report I mentioned ahead as soon as possible.
Now he Going, Going, Gone to the Tea HOuse of Cosmos to refresh.
Poop...

Attachments

Mar 2019
cosmos
This semi-tramp urge guys to deliver effective experimental/astronomical report I mentioned ahead as soon as possible.
Now he Going, Going, Gone to the Tea HOuse of Cosmos to refresh.
Poop...

Similar Physics Discussions Physics Forum Date
Quantum Physics
Theoretical Physics
Quantum Physics
Quantum Physics