Capacitors

Feb 2018
A 1.0mF capacitor and a 2.0mF capacitor are connected in parallel across a 1200V supply line. (a) Find the charge and voltage across each (b) The charged capacitor is disconnected from the line and from each other, and reconnected the terminals of unlike sign together. Find the final charge on each and voltage across each.
Can anyone help me with this one? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Apr 2017
(a) Capacitors in parallel will have the same voltage ...
charge Q is in coulombs ...Q = C V

(b) ...when reverse connected some charge is lost .... subtract the smaller charge from the bigger charge ...what is left is shared between the two capacitors the voltage across the terminals will now be less but the same for each capacitor so you can find the answer just with Q = C V

Pmb

PHF Hall of Fame
Apr 2009
Boston's North Shore
A 1.0mF capacitor and a 2.0mF capacitor are connected in parallel across a 1200V supply line. (a) Find the charge and voltage across each (b) The charged capacitor is disconnected from the line and from each other, and reconnected the terminals of unlike sign together. Find the final charge on each and voltage across each.
Can anyone help me with this one? Thanks in advance!
The rules of this forum require you to make an attempt at solving the problem before we can help. Oz ignores this rule for some reason.

Feb 2018
Thank you so much! I was stuck in part b and now i got it thanks to you.

Apr 2017
The rules of this forum require you to make an attempt at solving the problem before we can help. Oz ignores this rule for some reason.
I didn't now about that rule ... I did take care not to do the callculation , it seems better to give some reply than just ignore a request for help .