Build up magnetic charge on skin?

Jun 2019
Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to attach two electrodes to my skin, about an inch apart from one another, and somehow flow current between the two so that that length of skin builds up sufficient magnetic charge to be attracted to a nearby (e.g., within 1 inch of skin) magnet. My goal is to leave a relatively strong magnet about an inch away from my skin and be able to turn on and off the current, in order to cause my skin to be pulled towards (or pushed away from) the magnet. I don't really know anything about magnetism, but is something like this even feasible? If so, what would the current signal have to look like (e.g., in terms of magnitude, frequency, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the more advanced Magnetism section on this site, but if you think it makes more sense there, please let me know.

Last edited:
Jun 2016
England
Theoretically any electrical current will react to a magnet,
However, you need quite a large current to get a proper response.

Skin is not a good conductor of electricity.

To get sufficient current flowing to give the result you are looking for
you would have to apply a seriously large voltage
which would be exceptionally painful,
probably causing burns and permanent scars.

Reactions: 2 people
Jun 2019
Thanks! Is there any other way you can think of to selectively build up charge on skin or cause this type of attraction?

Mar 2019
cosmos
sensible vs sensitive

@icydash:
The representation of "magnetic charge" in your post is not an appropriate one, I think.
The appropriate and sensible replacement could be "magnetic field".
The term "magnetic charge" or "magnetic monopole "is a senitive one. Royal pain in quire a long time, perhaps forever...In my own theory, it does not exist. The primary analysis about this is in my thread "charge moves relative to charge, one thing two aspects?" in the advanced section...

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2019
@icydash:
The representation of "magnetic charge" in your post is not an appropriate one, I think.
The appropriate and sensible replacement could be "magnetic field".
The term "magnetic charge" or "magnetic monopole "is a senitive one. Royal pain in quire a long time, perhaps forever...In my own theory, it does not exist. The primary analysis about this is in my thread "charge moves relative to charge, one thing two aspects?" in the advanced section...
Thanks for your response! I think what you're suggesting is that I may have used the wrong terminology (or approach), and that I should instead try to generate a "magnetic field" rather than a "magnetic charge." Have I understood that right? How would one generate a suitable magnetic field to accomplish my desired result?

Jun 2019
My overarching goal is to be able to pull on skin without using suction or affixing anything to the skin.

Last edited:

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
My overarching goal is to be able to pull on skin without using suction or affixing anything to the skin.
I can see this as an intellectual excerise, but why would you want to?

-Dan

Jun 2019
Just an idea for a medical treatment device that avoids some of the problems associated with suction.

Reactions: 2 people
Jun 2016
England
I guess that static electricity could be used ,
with the victim charged up (using for example a <Van-de-Graaff Generator>)
relative to a small metal plate which would be bought close to the skin.

However, there is only so much charge difference that can be supported before sparks will start to jump across from the skin to the plate.

I'm afraid that (in my opinion) it is unlikely that it would be possible to make a practically useful device of this type.