Angular Magnification

Oct 2009
We were given a formula to find angular magnification, and I can't figure out what one of the variables is supposed to represent.

Angular magnification=m*do/di

di is the distance to the image, and m is the magnification of the lens system, what does do represent? I'm looking at an example problem, and it doesn't match any of the distances given, but it has to represent some sort of distance (or distances added together)

arbolis

PHF Hall of Fame
Apr 2008
We were given a formula to find angular magnification, and I can't figure out what one of the variables is supposed to represent.

Angular magnification=m*do/di

di is the distance to the image, and m is the magnification of the lens system, what does do represent? I'm looking at an example problem, and it doesn't match any of the distances given, but it has to represent some sort of distance (or distances added together)
Have you read Magnification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?

Oct 2009
I did, and it didn't really help. I figured it out on my own though, do is the distance to the original object, and I feel really silly for not being able to figure it out in the first place.

arbolis

PHF Hall of Fame
Apr 2008
I did, and it didn't really help. I figured it out on my own though, do is the distance to the original object, and I feel really silly for not being able to figure it out in the first place.
According to the link I gave you, do is the distance from the lens to the object.

Oct 2009
Somehow I missed that in there somewhere. I'll have to look again.

Mar 2014
optics

magnificatn is di/do and angular magnification is -(d/f2 + 1)(v/f1 - 1). try it again