Alternate theory of gravity

Jul 2019
Montana
This has been on my mind lately, and i have seen this theory before on a few articles. Is gravity actually everything expanding? Ive pondered many thought experiments and it seems that viewing gravity this way works out just as well if not better than the current accepted model of gravity. Please enlighten me on why this is not correct. Thanks a lot ladies and gents! Really appreciate the input!

topsquark

Forum Staff
Apr 2008
On the dance floor, baby!
This has been on my mind lately, and i have seen this theory before on a few articles. Is gravity actually everything expanding? Ive pondered many thought experiments and it seems that viewing gravity this way works out just as well if not better than the current accepted model of gravity. Please enlighten me on why this is not correct. Thanks a lot ladies and gents! Really appreciate the input!
How can gravity "expand" anything? Gravity is an attractive force between two masses. So I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

What thought experiments have you worked with?

-Dan

Aug 2010
IF the surface of the earth were "expanding" then the distances between points on the surface of the earth would be increasing. That is clearly not happening.

Reactions: 1 person
Jul 2019
Montana
Yes, like the surface of a balloon inflating. Read that in a stephen hawking book. So How fast would two points be moving apart in this thought experiment?

Jun 2016
England
You seem to be trying to link the gravity due to expansion idea with the Hubble expansion of the universe.
However as your linked debunking article explains if distance is changing for everything,
then it is also changing for your measuring device (whatever that is)
so your measuring device will report the same distance regardless.
The Hubble expansion operates on intergalactic distances,
but not on atomic (or human scale) distances.
An expansion on atomic scales would disrupt the electron orbits etc.

Reactions: 1 person