A New Simultaneity Method for Accelerated Observers in Special Relativity

Dec 2012
Boulder, Colorado
Until recently, I've been an avid proponent of the "co-moving inertial frames" (CMIF) simultaneity method (previously called the "CADO" method by me). I had claimed to have proven that the CMIF method is the ONLY method that agrees with the accelerated observer's own elementary observations and elementary calculations. But I recently concluded that there was a loophole in that proof, and therefore I had failed to prove what I thought I had proven. I decided to take a fresh look at the whole issue of simultaneity for an accelerated observer. In the course of doing that, I discovered a new simultaneity method that shows, with a very simple proof, that the CMIF method isn't correct. My new method says that when the accelerating observer instantaneously changes his velocity, the current age of the home twin DOESN'T instantaneously change. Instead, the slope of the age correspondence curve instantaneously changes its slope from a constant less than one to a constant greater than one. And then after a well-defined passage of time, the slope instantaneously switches back to the same constant less than one that occurs in the first segment. So the "curve" in the age correspondence diagram is always a continuous, piecewise-linear line of three straight line segments. Unlike the Dolby and Gull simultaneity method, and the Minguzzi simultaneity method, my method is causal, i.e., effects are always PRECEDED by causes. My new method is explained in detail on my webpage referenced below (in front of the old information on my webpage, which I now know to be incorrect).

Michael Leon Fontenot

--
Untitled - CADO

All you ever need to know about the twin "paradox".

Dec 2012
Boulder, Colorado
I got a new result from my simultaneity method, and have added it near the end of the new material on my webpage. I was able to prove that in my new method, the home twin's current age, according to the traveling twin, can never DECREASE. I.e., she can never get YOUNGER, according to him. That is a nice property for a simultaneity method to have, because the prospect of the home twin getting younger is repugnant to many physicists. In contrast, the well-known co-moving inertial frames (CMIF) simultaneity method implies that she DOES get younger (according to him) when he accelerates in the direction away from her (when their separation is sufficiently great).

A New Simultaneity Method - CADO

Aug 2018
Neural Network of the Universe
As far, as I understand the basic rules of SRT, causality is always maintained, if the timeline for a chain of events doesn't "extend" beyond the light cone on a spacetime diagram (time-like events). In shortcut, there's no way you can observe the aging process being reversed for someone who's in motion relative to you, unless he won't be moving faster than light. Maybe istead pasting a link to your website, you can try to more or less explain, what this new method is all about...

Here you have a cool interactive Minkowski diagram, so you can show a practical example

Reactions: topsquark