Go Back   Physics Help Forum > College/University Physics Help > Special and General Relativity

Special and General Relativity Special and General Relativity Physics Help Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 06:34 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 83
Why did Einstein need thought experiment?

Newton believed time to be absolute. One reason may be that there were no technology to test time dilation. If there were spaceships during newtons time he might have been able to compare the time of the clocks, one inside the spaceship and one on a stationary space station. He could'nt have tested time on a train even as trains did not exist during newtons time.

During Einsteins time there was no spaceship so he did a thought experiment with a spaceship using twin paradox. The first airplane wasinvented in 1903, two years before the theory of special relativity was proposed by Einstein. So we could understand that the general public did not have access to a aeroplane at time of Einstein and he could not place a clock on an aeroplane and compare the time in an airport clock.

But why did Einstein need a thought experiment to prove time dilation? During his time there were trains and the train's clocks run at 4/5 the rate of the station clocks. So here we have a proof, an actual experiment. So why need a thought experiment?

Last edited by avito009; Nov 2nd 2017 at 06:52 AM.
avito009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 07:18 AM   #2
Forum Admin
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the dance floor, baby!
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by avito009 View Post
Newton believed time to be absolute. One reason may be that there were no technology to test time dilation. If there were spaceships during newtons time he might have been able to compare the time of the clocks, one inside the spaceship and one on a stationary space station. He could'nt have tested time on a train even as trains did not exist during newtons time.

During Einsteins time there was no spaceship so he did a thought experiment with a spaceship using twin paradox. The first airplane wasinvented in 1903, two years before the theory of special relativity was proposed by Einstein. So we could understand that the general public did not have access to a aeroplane at time of Einstein and he could not place a clock on an aeroplane and compare the time in an airport clock.

But why did Einstein need a thought experiment to prove time dilation? During his time there were trains and the train's clocks run at 4/5 the rate of the station clocks. So here we have a proof, an actual experiment. So why need a thought experiment?
There may be a better answer for this but as far as I know he didn't do a thought experiment on time dilation. It falls out of the equations of SR directly. So it wasn't so much of a thought experiment as it was a prediction made by the theory that needed to be tested.

-Dan
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

See the forum rules here.
topsquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 684
During his time there were trains and the train's clocks run at 4/5 the rate of the station clocks. So here we have a proof, an actual experiment.
0.8C ???

Where do you find trains that run at that speed?
studiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 07:38 AM   #4
Pmb
Physics Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston's North Shore
Posts: 1,181
Originally Posted by avito009 View Post
During Einsteins time there was no spaceship so he did a thought experiment with a spaceship using twin paradox.
That's not quite correct.

Originally Posted by avito009 View Post
But why did Einstein need a thought experiment to prove time dilation?
He didn't. Einstein invented and published relativity in 1905. In that paper Einstein stated two postulates (here stated in modern terminology) (1) the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference and (2) the speed of light is the same in all inertial frames, i.e. independent of the motion of the source (i.e. c is invariant). After he stated those two postulates he then derived the relationships between spacetime events in two inertial observers. There is no mention of a twin paradox in that paper.

Originally Posted by avito009 View Post
During his time there were trains and the train's clocks run at 4/5 the rate of the station clocks. So here we have a proof, an actual experiment. So why need a thought experiment?
First off physics is not about proof. That's a common misconception. A friend of mine at MIT Explains if in a video he did for me.See:

http://www.newenglandphysics.org/com...an_Guth_04.mp4

Second, thought experiments help people understand nature. Einstein's first thought experiment was about what he would see if he was riding a bicycle.

The twin paradox wasn't published until 1911 where he co-authored a paper with physicist Robert Resnick. The paper didn't talk about spacesshjps or trains or bicycles etc. The spoke merely of a traveling observer.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox#History
Pmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 08:13 AM   #5
Forum Admin
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the dance floor, baby!
Posts: 2,152
Originally Posted by studiot View Post
0.8C ???

Where do you find trains that run at that speed?
Originally Posted by Pmb View Post
...Einstein's first thought experiment was about what he would see if he was riding a bicycle.
Greeeeat. Not only do we have a train going at 0.8c, now we have a bicycle??

-Dan
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

See the forum rules here.
topsquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 11:31 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Somerset, England
Posts: 684
My apologies, I'm surprised no one noticed but a time dilation of 0.8 corresponds to a velocity of 0.6C.

Wikipedia has a nice table and graph.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor

Sorry about that, but still faster than any train we have in Somerset.

studiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Physics Help Forum > College/University Physics Help > Special and General Relativity

Tags
einstein, experiment, thought



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Physics Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A simple thought experiment that gives a weird result Fox333 Special and General Relativity 28 Jun 9th 2017 03:52 AM
Maxwell VS Einstein MMM Advanced Optics 1 Apr 26th 2015 06:37 PM
A thought experiment with speed of light tonzent Theoretical Physics 10 Nov 17th 2014 09:36 AM
Thought experiment werehk Philosophy of Physics 10 Aug 27th 2013 08:52 PM
Thought experiment "small box and only one body inside the universe " tesla2 Theoretical Physics 2 Jun 11th 2013 07:52 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed