Physics Help Forum  

Go Back   Physics Help Forum > High School and Pre-University Physics Help > Waves and Sound

Old 05-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Ruler of Hell

Ruler of Hell is on a distinguished road
Resonance Tube

Question:
In a resonance tube, the first vibrating length is 0.6m. The second resonating length is 0.62m. Find the inner diameter of the tube.

Options:
a) 6.66cm
b) 4.67cm
c) 3.33cm
d) 2.33cm

Attempt:
I tried finding out the end correction to find the diameter (e=0.3d, right?), but I'm getting a negative value for end correction. I'm not sure what that means. The tuning fork is inside the tube? :S

Cheers.
Ruler of Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
topsquark
Super Moderator

topsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruler of Hell View Post
Question:
In a resonance tube, the first vibrating length is 0.6m. The second resonating length is 0.62m. Find the inner diameter of the tube.

Options:
a) 6.66cm
b) 4.67cm
c) 3.33cm
d) 2.33cm

Attempt:
I tried finding out the end correction to find the diameter (e=0.3d, right?), but I'm getting a negative value for end correction. I'm not sure what that means. The tuning fork is inside the tube? :S

Cheers.
I'm not quite sure of the picture. I know that you can resonate on two ends if, for example, the tube is partly filled with water. In that case we'd need to know the density of the water. But what your question seems to imply is some kind of inner and outer chamber?

Or am I simply being dense and you are saying that the first mode of vibration is at 0.6 m and the second mode is at 0.62 m?

-Dan

See the forum rules here.
topsquark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Ruler of Hell

Naw, not that complicated.

Quote:
Or am I simply being dense and you are saying that the first mode of vibration is at 0.6 m and the second mode is at 0.62 m?
^^This.

Here's what it looks like:

Also, by inner diameter I mean just the diameter, as in the thickness of the tube is irrelevant. No multiple chambers or anything fancy.
Just your standard resonance tube problem.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
topsquark
Super Moderator

topsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruler of Hell View Post
Question:

Options:
a) 6.66cm
b) 4.67cm
c) 3.33cm
d) 2.33cm

Attempt:

Cheers.
I see now, thank you. I've never messed with the "end correction" before. That's really what ended up screwing me up. Anyway...

If I understand you then we have two equations:

The substitution method is my favorite. I solved the first equation for (lambda) and got

and plugging that into the second equation gives

That gives me a value of D = 1.967 m.

-Dan

See the forum rules here.
topsquark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
Ruler of Hell

Thanks Dan. I did something similar. Good to know I wasn't messing up.

Cheers.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
physicsquest
PHF Helper

physicsquest is a glorious beacon of lightphysicsquest is a glorious beacon of lightphysicsquest is a glorious beacon of lightphysicsquest is a glorious beacon of lightphysicsquest is a glorious beacon of light
This one’s a little tricky. It hasn’t been mentioned anywhere that the resonances occur at the fundamental frequency.

Let’s write lambda as Y

Consider this.
The end correction is usually small compared to the resonating length. So if we consider it to be resonating at the fundamental at 0.62 (since 0.62>0.6), then we should expect a wavelength lambda close to (4 x 0. 62) or 2.48.

We know that for a tube closed at one end, the allowed resonances correspond to Y/4, 3Y/4 , 5Y/4 i.e. (2n+1) Y/4 ; n = 0,1,2……
The difference between successive allowed lengths thus works out to
(3Y/4) – Y/4 = Y/2 = 0.62 - 0.6 = 0.02 or Y = 2 x 0.02 =0.04

Compare this with the earlier value. Obviously something’s wrong.

What’s actually happening is this. An allowed frequency higher than the fundamental is what causes the resonance, and the wavelength corresponding to this frequency (not the fundamental wavelength) is equal to twice this difference in length,

Thus if L is the effective length and L’ the measured length, we may write
L = L’ + 0.3d.

Since the allowed Ys are given by, (2n+1)Y/4 = L, we may write for the two cases

Y = 4 L / (2n+1) = 4(L’ + 0.3d)/(2n+1).

Note that the two lengths 0.62 and 0.6 correspond to the same wavelength but different numbers of this wavelength. They do not represent resonance at different frequencies. Thus we may write,

4 (0.6+0.3d )/(2n+1) = 4(0.62+0.3d)/[ 2(n+1)+1] ……. (1)

which on simplification gives

(0.6+0.3d )/(2n+1) = (0.62+0.3d)/(2n+3)

Cross multiplication, componenedo dividendo (i think) etc can lead us to

2/(60+30d) = 2/(2n+1).

Equating denominators, we get,

60+30d = 2n+1 or 30d = 2n+1 – 60. Now 30d is a +ve quantity .

The lowest value of n for which this is true is n=30 , which gives us

30d = 1 or d = 1/30 = 0.0333 m or 3.33 cm

The required answer is thus c
As a further check, if we plug n = 30 in eqn (1), we get

L.H.S. = R.H.S = 0.03999
physicsquest is offline   Reply With Quote

Physics Help Forum > High School and Pre-University Physics Help > Waves and Sound

Copyright © 2008-2012 Physics Help Forum. All rights reserved.