Physics Help Forum  

Go Back   Physics Help Forum > Physics Help Forum Lounge > Miscellaneous

Old 09-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Rainy2Day

Rainy2Day is on a distinguished road
Vector Addition & Subtraction problems

Hello Everyone,
I have a couple problems that I have no idea how to even start (maybe its because I have a hard time visualizing?) and would like anyone to help break it down to small steps for me so I can understand how to do them.

Here are the questions.
1) A force vector F1 points due east and has a magnitude of 200 newtons. A second for F2 is added to F1. The resultant of the two vectors has a magnitude of 400 newtons and points along the east/west line. Find the magnitude and direction of F2. Note that there are two answers.

2) One displacement vector A has a magnitude of 2.43km and points due north. A second displacement vector B has a magnitude of 7.74km and also points due north. Part A)find the magnitude and direction of A-B Part B)Find the magnitude and direction of B-A.

3)Two displacement vectors A and B each point 35.0 degrees north of west. One has a magnitude of 4.60km, while the other has a magnitude of 3.20km. What are the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector A+B?

4) Vector A has a magnitude of 48.0 units and points due west, while Vector B has the same magnitude but points due south. Determine the magnitude and direction of A+B and A-B. Specifiy the direction relative to due west.

5) Two ropes are attached to a heavy box to pull it along the floor. One rope applies a force of 475 newtons in a direction due south. How much force should be applied by a single rope and in what direction (relative to due west), if it is to accomplish the same effect as the two force added together?

I thank anyone in advance for helping me
Rainy2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
topsquark
Super Moderator

topsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy2Day View Post
Hello Everyone,
I have a couple problems that I have no idea how to even start (maybe its because I have a hard time visualizing?) and would like anyone to help break it down to small steps for me so I can understand how to do them.

Here are the questions.
1) A force vector F1 points due east and has a magnitude of 200 newtons. A second for F2 is added to F1. The resultant of the two vectors has a magnitude of 400 newtons and points along the east/west line. Find the magnitude and direction of F2. Note that there are two answers.

2) One displacement vector A has a magnitude of 2.43km and points due north. A second displacement vector B has a magnitude of 7.74km and also points due north. Part A)find the magnitude and direction of A-B Part B)Find the magnitude and direction of B-A.

3)Two displacement vectors A and B each point 35.0 degrees north of west. One has a magnitude of 4.60km, while the other has a magnitude of 3.20km. What are the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector A+B?

4) Vector A has a magnitude of 48.0 units and points due west, while Vector B has the same magnitude but points due south. Determine the magnitude and direction of A+B and A-B. Specifiy the direction relative to due west.

5) Two ropes are attached to a heavy box to pull it along the floor. One rope applies a force of 475 newtons in a direction due south. How much force should be applied by a single rope and in what direction (relative to due west), if it is to accomplish the same effect as the two force added together?

I thank anyone in advance for helping me
This site should help considerably. Try them again, and remember to ALWAYS make a sketch, and let us know which ones you still need help with. In that case, any work you can show/describe to us will help us help you better.

-Dan

See the forum rules here.

Last edited by topsquark; 09-04-2008 at 02:47 AM.
topsquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Rainy2Day

The link doesn't work.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:48 AM   #4
topsquark
Super Moderator

topsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of lighttopsquark is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy2Day View Post
The link doesn't work.
Sorry. Try it now.

-Dan

See the forum rules here.
topsquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:55 AM   #5
Rainy2Day

Thank you!

Physics Help Forum > Physics Help Forum Lounge > Miscellaneous

Copyright © 2008-2012 Physics Help Forum. All rights reserved.