Go Back   Physics Help Forum > Physics Forums > Physics

Physics Physics Forum - General Physics Discussion and Physics News

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwiheretic
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:56 PM   #1
wad
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: tampa bay florida
Posts: 31
Stock Market Price

Does the price of a stock have any physical reality?
__________________
XML
wad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Pmb
Physics Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston's North Shore
Posts: 1,179
Originally Posted by wad View Post
Does the price of a stock have any physical reality?
Sorry but I can't even imagine what you mean by that. The price of a stock is largely a reflection of the perception of people who buy and/or sell them. Is that a physical reality? I.e. is perception a real thing to you?
Pmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 01:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 518
It's governed by the forces of greed, fear and such

However I doubt there is any correlation between stock prices and say, phases of the moon.
kiwiheretic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Pmb
Physics Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston's North Shore
Posts: 1,179
Originally Posted by kiwiheretic View Post
It's governed by the forces of greed, fear and such

However I doubt there is any correlation between stock prices and say, phases of the moon.

Actually there is a correlation. See:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-market/19933/

Do moon phases influence financial markets? Future Analyzer

Do a search on Google and you'll see a bunch of those arguments. I recall hearing someone say that ER's in hospitals are busier when there is a full moon.
Pmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 01:30 PM   #5
wad
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: tampa bay florida
Posts: 31
I agree. But it is amazing how much effort and energy is spent in trying to analyze and predict price movements using mathematical formulae and physics analogies as though they have some physical reality - far more human effort than is spent on studying the realm of physics.
__________________
XML
wad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 01:33 PM   #6
Pmb
Physics Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston's North Shore
Posts: 1,179
Originally Posted by wad View Post
I agree. But it is amazing how much effort and energy is spent in trying to analyze and predict price movements using mathematical formulae and physics analogies as though they have some physical reality - far more human effort than is spent on studying the realm of physics.
You might be less amazed if you learned how and why those formulas were created and how they are used. It's easy to dismiss things we don't readily understand. That's why I tend to refrain from doing so.

But I still think the earth is round and not flat like "those people" claim it is.
Pmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 01:47 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 518
Originally Posted by Pmb View Post
Actually there is a correlation. See:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-market/19933/

Do moon phases influence financial markets? Future Analyzer

Do a search on Google and you'll see a bunch of those arguments. I recall hearing someone say that ER's in hospitals are busier when there is a full moon.
Never realised the butterfly effect had that kind of astronomical reach.

kiwiheretic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 02:09 PM   #8
wad
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: tampa bay florida
Posts: 31
Thanks kiwiheretic.

Don't know the degree of correlation for those moon-phase charts, but if significant, one has to wonder if the connection is in some way physical.
__________________
XML
wad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 02:23 PM   #9
Pmb
Physics Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston's North Shore
Posts: 1,179
Originally Posted by wad View Post
Thanks kiwiheretic.

Don't know the degree of correlation for those moon-phase charts, but if significant, one has to wonder if the connection is in some way physical.
I doubt it. It could be a reflection of certain people's attention to astrology. In what way I have no idea.
Pmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st 2017, 02:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 518
Well, must be all those quantum fluctuations produced for when the moon doesn't exist when no one is looking at it.



[1:00:31 in video]
Pmb likes this.
kiwiheretic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Physics Help Forum > Physics Forums > Physics

Tags
market, price, stock



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed