Go Back   Physics Help Forum > Physics Forums > Physics Software

Physics Software Physics Software Forum - Physics software for computers and calculators

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 31st 2017, 12:14 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Pmb View Post
On second thought I don't think I should do this. If they refuse you for not being a US citizen then I really shouldn't bypass them. I was going to because it's weird to restrict it to the US but now I'm not certain I want to go behind their backs. Sorry.
No problem. Hi don't worry. I'm used to It, not a day goes by I don't cuss my luck of being born in Morocco.
We have so much wasted potentials here.
Yes they must have a good reason for restricting the usage of the code. we are just a bunch of third world ignoramus anyway. what do we know about scientific research anyhow?!!
KillSwitch900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st 2017, 02:10 PM   #12
Pmb
Physics Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston's North Shore
Posts: 1,181
Originally Posted by KillSwitch900 View Post
No problem. Hi don't worry. I'm used to It, not a day goes by I don't cuss my luck of being born in Morocco.
You may believe that but one can never know what its really like to be able to compare being born, live and die in two different countries. Had I been born in another country I'd have an entirely different set of doctors to choose from than I do here. The doctors here won't prescribe opiates for chronic pain and living with the kind of chronic pain I have is a living hell. People in my condition have been killing themselves rather than live like this. That's how bad it is. For doctors to ignore us like this is a true evil. And its all because we have bad politicians.

Originally Posted by KillSwitch900 View Post
..... we are just a bunch of third world ignoramus anyway. what do we know about scientific research anyhow?!!
I'm certain that you know that's not true and you're simply frustrated. We all know that just because someone wasn't born here does speak their intelligence and knowledge. Whoever thinks that is severely ignorant.

Last edited by Pmb; Oct 31st 2017 at 03:49 PM.
Pmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st 2017, 05:52 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: England
Posts: 322
Jingoism vs Universal Brotherhood

Politicians, almost by definition, have sharply jingoistic attitudes.
They might argue that their public persona is dictated by the attitudes of their constituents,
but I believe that politicians (cynically) find it convenient to pander to peoples baser jingoism
because it provides them with a solid political platform, allowing them to pursue their own personal goals.

I think that all the regular posters on this forum would be more than happy for you to have this code,
but I felt I had to point out to Pmb that there might be a possibility of getting himself in trouble by providing you with a back-door to "US only" codes.

PS
As a British Citizen, I am also not automatically given access to these codes,
though I suspect that if I were to put in a request (as you did) it would be granted.
But most likely the code would be supplied with strict, "don't pass it on" caveats.
__________________
~\o/~
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st 2017, 06:41 AM   #14
Pmb
Physics Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston's North Shore
Posts: 1,181
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
but I felt I had to point out to Pmb that there might be a possibility of getting himself in trouble by providing you with a back-door to "US only" codes.
I was never worried by that. Such a notion implies a restriction of freedom and we Americans love our freedom. I changed my mind because I decided that you were right in that I shouldn't do something that the people who have that code didn't want.
Pmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st 2017, 10:21 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 232
Originally Posted by Pmb View Post
That's weird. Is it a USA website? Seems to be. If its not too large and you tell me how, I can download it and then e-mail it to you, if you'd like that is.
If you go to that site, then click on the "rules" you will see it is not a matter or "being in the United States" but rather or being in a country that is a member of the "NEA data bank".

Last edited by HallsofIvy; Nov 2nd 2017 at 05:33 AM.
HallsofIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st 2017, 02:36 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Pmb View Post
You may believe that but one can never know what its really like to be able to compare being born, live and die in two different countries. Had I been born in another country I'd have an entirely different set of doctors to choose from than I do here. The doctors here won't prescribe opiates for chronic pain and living with the kind of chronic pain I have is a living hell. People in my condition have been killing themselves rather than live like this. That's how bad it is. For doctors to ignore us like this is a true evil. And its all because we have bad politicians.


I'm certain that you know that's not true and you're simply frustrated. We all know that just because someone wasn't born here does speak their intelligence and knowledge. Whoever thinks that is severely ignorant.
Sorry to hear about your condition (I'm suffering from depression/anxiety and don't have access to mental health care).
As you mentioned I was only speaking out of frustration, but then again we are defined by our place of birth, combo of genes and environment (you can be born with an inclination toward say music, art or science.. but don't have the favoring environment to flourish and vise versa ...
So you can be intelligent and acquire knowledge but don't have the opportunities to see it through and accomplish something with it.
KillSwitch900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Physics Help Forum > Physics Forums > Physics Software

Tags
carlo, code, monte, penelope



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Physics Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
seems that mathtype doesn't parse a simple amsmath code sepinaz LateX Help 1 Aug 10th 2015 03:09 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed