Physics Help Forum

Physics Help Forum (http://physicshelpforum.com/physics-help-forum.php)
-   New Users (http://physicshelpforum.com/new-users/)
-   -   Hi, new befuddled highschool physics student here! (http://physicshelpforum.com/new-users/14513-hi-new-befuddled-highschool-physics-student-here.html)

Jasnah Mar 12th 2018 12:22 AM

Hi, new befuddled highschool physics student here!
 
Seeking aid from this forum because I am drowning in questions for physics...I thought learning physics in high school would allow me to understand the mechanics of the world better...instead it's making me more confused. (Worried)

I'm in your care! (Bigsmile)

Woody Mar 12th 2018 10:43 AM

It can be difficult to relate the ideas taught in Physics to the observed features of the world around us.

One thing to remember is that in physics experiments the experimenter will (usually) be trying to alter and measure as few features of the world as possible.
This allows them to see how changing one feature affects another.

The real world around us is much "messier", there are always lots of things all changing at once, and all affecting each other.
We get used to this messy picture, and make everyday assumptions based on this messy world.

Pmb Mar 12th 2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasnah (Post 39569)
Seeking aid from this forum because I am drowning in questions for physics...I thought learning physics in high school would allow me to understand the mechanics of the world better...instead it's making me more confused. (Worried)

I'm in your care! (Bigsmile)

We learn physics from textbooks and teachers. If your teacher is confusing you then seek to learn elsewhere such as places like this. If your text is confusing then find another text. :)

Jasnah Mar 14th 2018 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pmb (Post 39583)
We learn physics from textbooks and teachers. If your teacher is confusing you then seek to learn elsewhere such as places like this. If your text is confusing then find another text. :)

Yes my teacher is confusing :') which is why I'm here...The internet is amazing in how I can get to get free help from people who teach just as well, if not better than my teachers :D

Jasnah Mar 14th 2018 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oz93666 (Post 39599)
That's the way the education system is designed ... to frustrate , confuse .. so don't imagine you're are in the wrong ... the customer is never wrong.


I agree that some people could be better at teachers (Giggle)... sucks when they make easy concepts harder to understand...my fault for not going to that better selective school when I could've...

benit13 Mar 14th 2018 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasnah (Post 39626)
Yes my teacher is confusing :') which is why I'm here...The internet is amazing in how I can get to get free help from people who teach just as well, if not better than my teachers :D

No worries. What things are you studying at the moment and what do you find the most confusing?

Pmb Mar 14th 2018 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasnah (Post 39627)
I agree that some people could be better at teachers (Giggle)... sucks when they make easy concepts harder to understand...my fault for not going to that better selective school when I could've...


Please don't take Oz's claim .. the education system is designed as being true. That's far from true in fact.

I created a website for college students who are studying physics. You might find some of it useful. It's calculus based. See: New England Physics

Woody Mar 14th 2018 06:12 AM

Design vs Evolution
 
The term "design" could imply a conspiracy, I'm not sure if Oz intended this or not.

My impression is that the education system has "evolved" to favour certain styles of thinker.
The main evolutionary driver is exam results.
Teachers are themselves a result of this evolutionary process, further encouraging a positive feedback into the system.

Note that the teaching styles for different subjects are evolving in different directions,
This tends to polarize the students into "arts" or "science" students.

Jasnah Mar 16th 2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benit13 (Post 39630)
No worries. What things are you studying at the moment and what do you find the most confusing?

Oh it's hard to pinpoint it directly...if I knew it would make it easier. It's kind of like I think I know things quite well, and then I do questions...and I screw up and don't know why? I'll be sure to post questions as soon they pop up though. :D

Jasnah Mar 16th 2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pmb (Post 39631)
Please don't take Oz's claim .. the education system is designed as being true. That's far from true in fact.

I created a website for college students who are studying physics. You might find some of it useful. It's calculus based. See: New England Physics

Wow it's amazing how you actually created a website! Many of the links get an error for me though, is it just my browser?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Copyright © 2016 Physics Help Forum. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2008-2012 Physics Help Forum. All rights reserved.