Go Back   Physics Help Forum > High School and Pre-University Physics Help > Light and Optics

Light and Optics Light and Optics Physics Help Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 1st 2016, 03:34 PM   #1
Member
 
timemachine2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 45
Talking Could mixing light wavelengths effect absorption, and emission process.

The electron when hit by light moves to a higher shell level very briefly, to either shell 1, or 2 depending on the energy of the light wavelength.
So because you mixed any EM radiation, with red light which has the lowest energy, could when light, or other EM waves gets absorbed, and the electron moves to a higher shell level, if then say the red light that was mixed with the EM wave then hits the electron while the electron is TEMPORARILY in shell 1, or shell 2.
Would there be not enough energy to excite the electron to a higher state, and would transmission of the electron occur, thus making the a SOLID object translucent a bit say 5% translucent.
Would it work do you think, you could mix the red light with any EM wavelength UV, X-rays whatever works best, but the second mixture of light, it would have to be red light, to make the object transparent, so we could see through it.
Could it work do you think.
Thank you for your help, anything helps even a few words.
timemachine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st 2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Forum Admin
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the dance floor, baby!
Posts: 2,780
If the energy levels are available then yes, an electron can "double jump" (or whatever the correct term may be) from one excited state to another. The same can happen as the electron jumps back down to the ground level. I doubt any of this would cause the object to become even a little bit transparent.

As far as transparency goes, you keep posting about it. May I ask what you are working on?

-Dan
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

See the forum rules here.
topsquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 01:38 PM   #3
Member
 
timemachine2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 45
Talking Dear Dan, Thank you for your answer.

My name is Nicholas Lee, and I am studying neuroscience, and my interest is memory encoding.
If your interested, In my profile page on facebook is a Scribd download of a diagram for a new brain mapping camera I have been working on.
Current ways to see neurons firing in a mouses's brain in real time involve seeing the neurons firing in real time in TWO dimensions not three.
This new microscope camera I have developed when built, can see the electro, and chemical activity happening in groups of neurons in real time, and in THREE dimensions.
You could do the following three things with this new microscope camera:
1. With the gene therapy approach you can see the electro chemical activity happening in neurons, at Micron scales in real time, to get an idea of how memory is encoded.
2. Because you can see neurons firing in three dimensions, and in real time, at microns scales with this camera, you can get an idea of how brain diseases, and disorders effect the brain, and then you can find ways to better treat these brain disorders like Parkinson's and epilepsy for example.
3. You could find out what groups of neurons hold EXACTLY what spatial memories when using the gene therapy approach in a animal.
4. With this new re-engineered gamma knife machine you could ionize a groups of neurons in the brain in a cubic area around 20 to 100 microns small. Which could help treat brain diseases, and disorders better like Parkinson’s disease, and epilepsy.
5. With this new re-engineered Gamma Knife you can ionize groups of cells specifically in the brain at molecular levels of around 20 to 100 microns, which CAN give you the ability to specifically erase memories in a mouse, or other animal, better than Zeta Inhibitory Peptide (ZIP) which is non-specific at erasing spatial memories.

I have sent to Stanford to the Seeds Grant department that funds high risk neuroscience ideas, and to Duke University, in a hope to build a prototype to test, but they only give grants to students who study at those Universities.
But this camera is fully mastered, and so the next step for me is find a way to make human tissue less opaque, or more translucent, if at all possible. It could be impossible to do this, but I need to know how impossible.

Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
If the energy levels are available then yes, an electron can "double jump" (or whatever the correct term may be) from one excited state to another. The same can happen as the electron jumps back down to the ground level. I doubt any of this would cause the object to become even a little bit transparent.

As far as transparency goes, you keep posting about it. May I ask what you are working on?

-Dan

Last edited by timemachine2; Mar 2nd 2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: more stuff
timemachine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Forum Admin
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the dance floor, baby!
Posts: 2,780
Originally Posted by timemachine2 View Post
My name is Nicholas Lee, and I am studying neuroscience, and my interest is memory encoding.
If your interested, In my profile page on facebook is a Scribd download of a diagram for a new brain mapping camera I have been working on.
Current ways to see neurons firing in a mouses's brain in real time involve seeing the neurons firing in real time in TWO dimensions not three.
This new microscope camera I have developed when built, can see the electro, and chemical activity happening in groups of neurons in real time, and in THREE dimensions.
You could do the following three things with this new microscope camera:
1. With the gene therapy approach you can see the electro chemical activity happening in neurons, at Micron scales in real time, to get an idea of how memory is encoded.
2. Because you can see neurons firing in three dimensions, and in real time, at microns scales with this camera, you can get an idea of how brain diseases, and disorders effect the brain, and then you can find ways to better treat these brain disorders like Parkinson's and epilepsy for example.
3. You could find out what groups of neurons hold EXACTLY what spatial memories when using the gene therapy approach in a animal.
4. With this new re-engineered gamma knife machine you could ionize a groups of neurons in the brain in a cubic area around 20 to 100 microns small. Which could help treat brain diseases, and disorders better like Parkinsonís disease, and epilepsy.
5. With this new re-engineered Gamma Knife you can ionize groups of cells specifically in the brain at molecular levels of around 20 to 100 microns, which CAN give you the ability to specifically erase memories in a mouse, or other animal, better than Zeta Inhibitory Peptide (ZIP) which is non-specific at erasing spatial memories.

I have sent to Stanford to the Seeds Grant department that funds high risk neuroscience ideas, and to Duke University, in a hope to build a prototype to test, but they only give grants to students who study at those Universities.
But this camera is fully mastered, and so the next step for me is find a way to make human tissue less opaque, or more translucent, if at all possible. It could be impossible to do this, but I need to know how impossible.
Sounds interesting. I don't know how well you would be able to apply any source of EM radiation to make brain matter transparent in a safe way. But keep trying, the end seems to be worth the effort.

-Dan
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

See the forum rules here.
topsquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 01:53 PM   #5
Member
 
timemachine2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 45
Talking follow up question for Dan.

When you meant double jump, did you mean that the electron could skip two shell levels, and the electron in this shell level 2, or 3, or 4, would have a eV level that would not excite the red light, and transmission would occur.
The red light that is mixed with the other EM radiation, the red light can be mixed with the other types of EM waves, as one beam, or the red light can be sent in millisecond timed bursts, just as the electron moves to the higher shell level temporarily.
There has to be eV levels in carbon that does not excite red light
Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
If the energy levels are available then yes, an electron can "double jump" (or whatever the correct term may be) from one excited state to another. The same can happen as the electron jumps back down to the ground level. I doubt any of this would cause the object to become even a little bit transparent.

As far as transparency goes, you keep posting about it. May I ask what you are working on?

-Dan
timemachine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Member
 
timemachine2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 45
Talking Forgot to mention

Thank you so much for your reply, you help means a lot to me.
Forgot to mention that you could either mix the red light with the lowest wavelength as one beam, with any EM radiation, whatever works best to excite the electron to the higher shell level you want.
Or you could sent the red light in timed millisecond bursts, just as the electron goes to a higher shell level briefly.
Then while the electron is in the shell 2, 3, or 4 levels you the hit the electron with the red light in a timed millisecond burst, and in my mind the electron MAY transmission past the electron, because it does not have the energy to excite the electron to a higher energy level, or shell level.
While the electron is in higher shell levels 1, 2, 3, 4, or maybe more depending on the element, it MAY have energy levels that do not excite red light which has the lowest wavelength, this is all my theory though, it could be incorrect, I am not a expert, at optics, and materials.
Kind of like the electrons in glass work, and in water molecules, transparent plastics.
Thank you for your help, anything helps even a few words.
Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
Sounds interesting. I don't know how well you would be able to apply any source of EM radiation to make brain matter transparent in a safe way. But keep trying, the end seems to be worth the effort.

-Dan
timemachine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th 2016, 03:38 PM   #7
Member
 
timemachine2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 45
Talking Can you help with this question.

In glass, the elements that make it up, like silicon, and sodium.
Does the electron eV levels change as these elements become molecules ;D, and become solid glass.
To put it another way, if silicon, sodium, and calcium atoms which have there fixed eV shell levels for electrons.
If these atoms silicon, sodium, and calcium, and the other elements glass is made from, are put together enough to form a molecule, and then a small piece of solid matter.
Do the shell electron levels of silicon, sodium, and calcium change to make glass transparent.
So for example solid silicon, only consisting of pure silicon atoms, when single silicon atoms are put together in a cubic block, is the eV shell level for the electron the same when silicon forms solid matter.
So is there a change in eV electron levels.
Because there is not enough energy in glass for light to get absorbed by atoms.
The light gets transmission through a solid piece of glass, this is why its transparent.
So do electron eV shell levels, or energy levels change, due to these single atoms becoming together to form molecules, and solid matter.
Thank you for your answer, anything help even a few words.
timemachine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Physics Help Forum > High School and Pre-University Physics Help > Light and Optics

Tags
absorption, effect, emission, invisible, light, mixing, process, transparent, wavelengths



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Physics Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In this experiment by mixing EM, with light, could any solid element, become transpa timemachine2 Atomic and Solid State Physics 0 Mar 13th 2016 01:56 PM
Radiation emission and absorption kelsiu Advanced Thermodynamics 5 Jul 23rd 2014 09:14 AM
[SOLVED] Lasers and Spontaneous Emission of Coherent Light topsquark Quantum Physics 4 Mar 7th 2011 03:17 PM
frequencys.. wavelengths smacias Waves and Sound 1 Mar 6th 2009 04:10 AM
Doppler effect of light conqueror Waves and Sound 2 Oct 11th 2008 03:16 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed