Go Back   Physics Help Forum > High School and Pre-University Physics Help > Kinematics and Dynamics

Kinematics and Dynamics Kinematics and Dynamics Physics Help Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 20th 2009, 05:05 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Rker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Displacement

Hello. I've just joined the physics help forums from a link on the math help forums. I'm actually an undergraduate student, but I figured this problem would fit under this section since it's introductory physics.

I'm working on test corrections, so that I can get half credit for the points I missed. I'm still totally stuck on this problem, so any help would be appreciated.

A delivery man travels 35 mi northwest to his first stop, 60 mi in a direction 35 west of south to his second stop. His third stop is supposed to be 100 mi west of his original position. What must his third displacement be (magnitude and direction) for him to reach his destination?
Rker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
arbolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by Rker View Post
Hello. I've just joined the physics help forums from a link on the math help forums. I'm actually an undergraduate student, but I figured this problem would fit under this section since it's introductory physics.

I'm working on test corrections, so that I can get half credit for the points I missed. I'm still totally stuck on this problem, so any help would be appreciated.
Hi Rker and welcome here!
Are you used to draw vectors? The problem can be solved with a simple vector sketch.
__________________
Isaac
If the problem is too hard just let the Universe solve it.
arbolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Rker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by arbolis View Post
Hi Rker and welcome here!
Thank you.

Originally Posted by arbolis View Post
Are you used to draw vectors? The problem can be solved with a simple vector sketch.
I did attempt to draw vectors on a coordinate plane, but I couldn't decipher much information out of its inaccuracy. Here's what I drew on my test:



Rker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
arbolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by Rker View Post
Thank you.



I did attempt to draw vectors on a coordinate plane, but I couldn't decipher much information out of its inaccuracy. Here's what I drew on my test:



Looks good, but notice that 100 miles west from the starting point seems more at the left than the second stop compared to your sketch.
I suggest you to use Pythagoras theorem and/or trigonometry in order to draw a perfect sketch. So that you'll get the values they ask for.
Good work!
__________________
Isaac
If the problem is too hard just let the Universe solve it.
arbolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th 2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Rker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
I do remember my physics professor using trigonometry to solve the problem, but she didn't ask us to draw a to-scale sketch. Is there a different way to find the answer besides what you mentioned?
Rker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Physics Help Forum > High School and Pre-University Physics Help > Kinematics and Dynamics

Tags
displacement



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Physics Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
displacement question bruinswimmer Kinematics and Dynamics 1 Oct 18th 2009 12:22 AM
Velocity and Displacement chrisfnet Kinematics and Dynamics 1 Sep 29th 2009 02:04 AM
Displacement Heksa Kinematics and Dynamics 1 Jun 8th 2009 02:16 AM
angular displacement sake Advanced Mechanics 1 Apr 20th 2009 05:29 AM
Displacement Help. overduex Kinematics and Dynamics 3 Aug 5th 2008 05:37 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed