Go Back   Physics Help Forum > High School and Pre-University Physics Help > Electricity and Magnetism

Electricity and Magnetism Electricity and Magnetism Physics Help Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By oz93666
  • 1 Post By Woody
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 6th 2019, 07:28 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Question GCSE truck magnetism question

Hello,
I have just completed a past paper and I am not sure the answer to this question -

I originally thought it was a, but it turned out to be d. Why is this?
Thanks, Archie.
https://imgur.com/a/SXBb3q0
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th 2019, 07:44 AM   #2
Forum Admin
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the dance floor, baby!
Posts: 2,554
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
Hello,
I have just completed a past paper and I am not sure the answer to this question -

I originally thought it was a, but it turned out to be d. Why is this?
Thanks, Archie.
https://imgur.com/a/SXBb3q0
They seem to be assuming that the walls of the truck are metallic. When magnetic field lines intersect the surface of a metal the lines come out perpendicular to the metal.

-Dan
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

See the forum rules here.
topsquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th 2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Ah okay, thank you.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th 2019, 11:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 453
Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
.. When magnetic field lines intersect the surface of a metal the lines come out perpendicular to the metal.-Dan
I don't think that's right , Dan ....

The answer is definitely d ... the mythical 'lines of force' will prefer to move through the steel chassis of the truck rather than the air inside ... the steel is more 'magnetic' so gives an easier path.
topsquark likes this.
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th 2019, 04:55 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: England
Posts: 786
I think "mythical" is a bit strong...
It's perhaps an imperfect analogue used to describe what is actually happening,
but it is describing a real phenomenon.
topsquark likes this.
__________________
~\o/~
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th 2019, 12:28 PM   #6
Forum Admin
 
topsquark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the dance floor, baby!
Posts: 2,554
Originally Posted by oz93666 View Post
I don't think that's right , Dan ....

The answer is definitely d ... the mythical 'lines of force' will prefer to move through the steel chassis of the truck rather than the air inside ... the steel is more 'magnetic' so gives an easier path.
Sorry, I wasn't being clear enough. I agree that the answer is d).

-Dan
__________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

See the forum rules here.
topsquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Physics Help Forum > High School and Pre-University Physics Help > Electricity and Magnetism

Tags
gcse, magnetism, question, truck



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Physics Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Magnetism question using a compass and a conductor? ItsMeWaffles Electricity and Magnetism 0 Oct 22nd 2017 05:12 PM
A basic question about magnetism AndrewS Physics 21 Aug 11th 2017 03:36 AM
Some beginner questions about sun rays, magnetism and electro-magnetism. Anonymous General Physics 15 Mar 19th 2014 10:33 AM
Last magnetism question greencheeseca Advanced Electricity and Magnetism 0 Mar 15th 2010 05:23 PM
who lives in England and did AQA GCSE ? lovcullen Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics 2 May 27th 2009 06:15 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed