Go Back   Physics Help Forum > College/University Physics Help > Advanced Thermodynamics

Advanced Thermodynamics Advanced Thermodynamics Physics Help Forum

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 06:15 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by randomthings View Post
The bigger the surface area of the cooling element, isn't the faster the ice will melt?
In an open environment , that is true ... but in a closed insulated box the temperature of the air inside will be almost 0 so even a small cooling element surface area will do the job , a large cooling element area is not required.
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:38 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by oz93666 View Post
In an open environment , that is true ... but in a closed insulated box the temperature of the air inside will be almost 0 so even a small cooling element surface area will do the job , a large cooling element area is not required.
So, it doesn't really matter how big or how thick is the cooling elements?
randomthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 04:36 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by randomthings View Post
So, it doesn't really matter how big or how thick is the cooling elements?
That's right , it's all about their thermal inertia , how much heat (energy) they absorb for a rise in their temperature , and melting ice is extremely good for this absorbing a lot of heat (energy) for the phase change to water , at 0*C
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 12:26 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by oz93666 View Post
That's right , it's all about their thermal inertia , how much heat (energy) they absorb for a rise in their temperature , and melting ice is extremely good for this absorbing a lot of heat (energy) for the phase change to water , at 0*C
Hi, can someone give a source about this statement?
I needed.

Thanks a lot.
randomthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Physics Help Forum > College/University Physics Help > Advanced Thermodynamics

Tags
box, convection, isolated


« project research | - »

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Physics Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conduction or convection RogelioAguirre Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics 4 Apr 24th 2014 01:58 PM
Convection problem Legato Advanced Thermodynamics 1 May 13th 2010 12:20 AM
Radiation and convection help febbie22 Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics 1 May 11th 2010 04:28 PM
Isolated Atoms jonbrutal Kinematics and Dynamics 0 Mar 12th 2010 01:59 AM
Isolated System? Alexrey Advanced Mechanics 8 Apr 21st 2009 09:42 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed